Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firearm cabinet

firearm cabinet

I wish to fit my cabinet into my office which is detached from the house, double skin timber construction, double glazed with locking windows. has 5 lever mortice, plus yale. has door alarm fitted, security light and dummy cctv camera, cabinet will be raw bolted to 6x2 floor joist and 3x2 wall joists. how do think the FEO will take to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Auld Blair View Post
    I wish to fit my cabinet into my office which is detached from the house, double skin timber construction, double glazed with locking windows. has 5 lever mortice, plus yale. has door alarm fitted, security light and dummy cctv camera, cabinet will be raw bolted to 6x2 floor joist and 3x2 wall joists. how do think the FEO will take to this?
    Grumpily because it is not attached to your house (see HO guidance) but if you can make a case for this being the most secure place you may be ok. The only thing you don't mention with your otherwise good security arrangements is whether your cabinet is "visible". eg If someone peered through the window could they see that it was a gun cabinet? Also is the office for personal use (ok) or do members of the public access it (Not ok)?atb Tim
    Last edited by timbrayford; 08-01-2012 at 15:49.

Raw bolted into timber? Surely large coach bolts would be more secure.

Ring the FAO and ask the question it will save fitting it twice .

+1 on not using rawl bolts.

SD Regular
    Agree with comment that large coach bolts will be better. Tim's comment on visibility is also very valid - you say windows - how many? On alarm, they will expect it to be linked to an auto-dialer (so it rings you and then down a list of preferred numbers until someone acknowledges that the alarm has gone off). It sounds as if one could get through the window and not set the alarm off - is this correct? If so, talk to your alarm company about getting a motion sensor mounted inside your cabinet (they're not as expensive as they may seem and will be cheaper than window sensors or PIR's), which will activate the moment someone tries to tamper with the cabinet, so it may also help with the 'timbers' aspect too.

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I seem to recall something in the HO guidelines about safes being securely fastened to a load bearing wall.

Fitted in an external building may not be considered appropriate - especially one made of wood. Wood, as you may already be aware, can be quite easily cut using an axe or a saw, no need to break the safe open to get the firearms, just take it away and do it somewhere else!

Quote Originally Posted by Auld Blair View Post
    This post made me chortle!

You have no chance now that you have told all that know you and where you live of your intended gun locations - The Police do monitor the site!

Quote Originally Posted by teabag_46 View Post
    I seem to recall something in the HO guidelines about safes being securely fastened to a load bearing wall.

Fitted in an external building may not be considered appropriate - especially one made of wood. Wood, as you may already be aware, can be quite easily cut using an axe or a saw, no need to break the safe open to get the firearms, just take it away and do it somewhere else!
    A timber stud wall is 'load-bearing' as it is there to support the roof load- just not masonry

Can't remember the last time I saw someone making off down the road with a gun cabinet and some 4x2 concealed under their coat or in their swag bag- a jemmy or drilled out locks would be faster not that I am talking from experience

Firsttimer - I appreciate your sense of humour! I don't think that I have ever seen anyone wandering down the street with a gun safe in their arms either lol.

Unfortunately though, it doesn't mean that it couldn't happen, or even a ram raid on the building. There are videos on YouTube for instance, showing banks being ram raided, and the cash machines being dragged away behind a truck, or even on a forklift!
    They are the sort of crimes that police will be aware of, and will think about.