point of aim

Deanandrew64

Hi All,

If my rifle is zeroed at 100 yards how will this affect the shooting test on the dcs1 course when you have to shoot at 40 and 70 yards? replies would be most helpful

you will be fine just aim centre of target .you are given tolerance

what calibre and ammo?
unlikely to be much more than an inch above and below point of aim depending on the height of your scope mounts

As td says, just aim at the kill area.

I did a pre dsc1 course a few months back. We used a 6.5x55 which was zeroed to 100 yards and had no problems at 40 or 70 by doing this.

I think you have asked a fair question regarding your rifle and would tend to agree with the above answers you have had, but i will ask you a question have you never fired your rifle at anything below 100yds before? if not then I would suggest you get to know your rifle/ammo combination so that no matter what situation arises you will know where to aim! practice and learn, its time well spent.

thats great, will get some extra prctice in outdoors later this week and next thanks for the replies most helpful everyone

for the test, aim where you want the bullet to go, no corrections or faffing about because any good shot wil be well inside the target area on the deer target.

if i remember correctly the target area for the dsc1 coarse is 4 inches or 100mm so just point and pull the trigger at all 3 distances .
best of luck and enjoy it .

MV

The 4" target is the zeroing one used in part 1 of the test, thereafter three pairs - 100, 70 7 40 are on the black deer target.

As others say - dont worry about impact point relative to aim point on the 70 & 40. This is a query frequently raised, so you aren't alone.

Slightly off topic, but another 'strange look' moment is when I urge candidates at concentrate on aiming point - half way up body, centre line of front leg. Never yet had anyone 'miss' over the top, if you're going to goof it you will likely drop low - nothing to do with trajectory, mostly down to the psychology of the test.

why not just go and put up a target at each of your given distances and have a look for yourself if your taking a test with your rifle then you need to have confidence in it and what it does not just turn up and guess

thanks for that, wil do, just wish it was sooner time seams to be dragging although its only about eight weeks away

Dont worry about the shooting too much. Just read the book then read it again then again. Then be glad of those eight weeks . And Good Luck !!

ATB Steve

If you haven't already done so obtain a copy of the Roe target from the BDS and one of the black shoulder targets that fit on it.
Practise the 40yards standing, 70yards seated and 100yards prone as much as you can. The shoulder target on its own is quite useful as it gets you to focus on the vital areas and ignore the rest of the deer target, also if you scale this target down on a scanner/printer you can produce a target that you can practice on with either a .22rimfire or an airgun at 25 yards. They key thing to remember is to get comfortable, steady firing positions. Regarding the zero stick to the 100 yards, it is vital to get your 3 shots within the 4" circle to progress to the deer target, the scoring zone on this one is larger and if you've got as far as the 40yard position without mishap you shouldn't have any problem. atb Tim

Back