Thread: Franchi Hunter 48-AL semi auto 12g shotgun

Franchi Hunter 48-AL semi auto 12g shotgun

Hi all

Not exactly a deer rifle I know, but I have a couple of 12 gauge shotguns that need to go to make room in my cabinet for my hopefully-soon-to-be-granted FAC.

So, the first is a Franchi Hunter 12 gauge, 1/2 choke, 28" barrel. Recoil semi-auto design so no gas parts to keep clean. The design was based (I think) on the Browning A5 (Auto-5) and works well. It didn't cycle that reliably with lighter cartridges when I first got it, so I stripped it all down, degreased the action, regreased it all and reassembled, and now it cycles even Hull Comp-X 99% of the time. (I think it would cycle 24g and maybe even 21g carts without problems now, but I don't have any of either to test it - the Hull Comp-X are the lightest recoiling carts I use). The gun also has an adjustable recoil mechanism so you can set it for light loads (as it is currently, for clays) or for heavier hunting loads if you wish. That way you won't wear / damage the action with heavier cartridges with higher recoil.

Cosmetically it's in pretty good condition, though there's some wear to the base of the trigger guard, and also to the base of the barrel where the action moves when it cycles. It has the odd cabinet mark too.

Gun is in Bristol, and I would prefer face to face. Price is 120 ONO. Any questions, please ask away.

Thanks for reading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040849.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	11488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040850.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	11489

Still here. Might consider a swap for Hull Comp X clay cartridges, or a good scope mounted lamp?

ATB,

Giles

Still here boys and girls...

I'd bite your hand off if you were a little bit closer! My first s/g was a Franchi hunter and I have some very fond memories of early shooting experiences with it.

I'm afraid I don't come up to the Highlands that often, and you are a bit of a way away!

It's a decent gun. I was mainly trying to sell it to make room in my cabinet for a rifle, but I've now got a second cabinet! So not the end of the world if it doesn't sell.

Cheers.

Franchi AL48, - How do you adjust for lighter loads

Quote Originally Posted by sandspider View Post
    Hi all

The gun also has an adjustable recoil mechanism so you can set it for light loads (as it is currently, for clays) or for heavier hunting loads if you wish. That way you won't wear / damage the action with heavier cartridges with higher recoil.
    Hi

I have a AL48 and it will not recycle 28g loads, what is the process for adjusting for lighter loads

Regards

Latts

Do a search on the browning Auto Five and it will give the details. I know it involves taking a bronze washer out and puttign it back the opposite was but cannot recall which way it needs to be. Never adjusted mine.

Sold my Franchi, though I might have a copy of the manual somewhere. In any case, you take off the end cap of the magazine tube (unscrew the end bolt thing). The barrel assembly will then lift out, and there's a recoil spring with a brass(?) washer resting against the end of it. Take off that ring, and turn it round. One side of the ring has a bevel, the other side is flat - put the flat side facing down the barrel, so the recoil presses against it. (flat ring = less resistance to recoil = set for lighter loads). I can't remember exactly how it all fits together, but if you look at the gun and bear this in mind it should make sense.

Or, see here:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/franchi_48al.pdf

HTH.