Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unknown Italian 12g side by side shotgun (cheap)

Unknown Italian 12g side by side shotgun (cheap)

And the second gun I need to sell for cabinet space and funds is this 12 gauge side by side by an unknown Italian maker. If anyone recognises the makers symbol (a 5 pointed star within a shield) I'd be interested to know.

I bought this from a local gun shop about 4 months ago, and have only used it twice - I prefer my OU. Proof marks say the gun was made in 1982. 70mm chambers. I was told it was choked at 1/2 and 3/4. Double trigger, non-ejector. The woodwork is quite nice though it has the occasional cabinet mark. The barrels are in good shape too. The action has a nice design on the metalwork which extends on to the bottom of the trigger guard.

A perfect rough shooting gun (with varnished rather than oiled woodwork, so better for the rain and mud), or to stash in the back of the Landrover just in case.
    I'd like 120 ONO for this one. Gun is in Bristol. Could RFD, but that would cost at least 25 from my end. Any questions, please ask.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040841.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	11490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040843.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	11491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040845.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	11492

If you care to post a close up photo of the makers mark I'll send it to a squad of Italian hunters to see if they know the brand.
    Regards,
    Mark

Thanks Mark, that's kind. Here's the maker's mark. (I did google, but couldn't find anything...)

Name:	P1040854.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	11593

I sent the photo just now. Will let you know if and when I hear back.

Mark

Thanks for your efforts Mark. Would be nice to know it's an ancient Perazzi or similar, but I'm not holding my breath!

Quote Originally Posted by sandspider View Post
    Thanks Mark, that's kind. Here's the maker's mark. (I did google, but couldn't find anything...)

Name:	P1040854.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	11593
    It's not Italian, it's Russian. That's the proof mark of the Izhevsk Proof House. I'll wager what you have is a Baikel.

Hmm. Pretty sure it's not a Baikal - the other proof marks (not shown in the pics above) say it was proofed in Gardone or Brescia (Italian proof houses) in 1982. And I was sold the gun by a gun shop as by an unknown Italian maker. Plus, I'm pretty sure the Baikal that I had (now sold) was marked with an arrow on a shield, not a star on a shield, and said "Baikal" pretty clearly!

Having said that, the mark I pictured above does look a bit like the Izhevsk proof mark, though the star seems to be larger...

Hi Sandspider, your memory serves you well. I have just checked some old literature from Baikal and the arrow in a shield is on the front of the brochure.

I just had a chat with my Italian mate, who in turn has asked around amongst the hunters in my squad. No one has seen this mark before, but one or two think Russian. If the gun was proofed in Italy it will bear the letters P. S. F. FINITO. (Polvere senza fumo) This translates as smokeless powder. Please keep me posted as you now have not just us, but a squad of twenty five Italian hunters all wanting to know .

Best regards,

Mark
    Last edited by buckup; 16-01-2012 at 20:24.

Thanks Mark.

The gun was proofed in Italy, as it has the Gardone / Brescia proof marks; it also has the finito triangle and smokeless black powder marks. I'll put up some more pics of the proof marks shortly, as JMS asked, and hopefully we can identify it so that 25 Italian hunters can rest easy! As I said, the proof mark I posted above does look like the Izhevsk proof mark, but I think the star in the shield on my proof mark fills more of the shield than the Izhevsk one. Hmm. Really not sure what I've got now!