Thread: DSC Level 1 Training... a new on-line service

DSC Level 1 Training... a new on-line service

Hello All

I have launched a new website http://www.dsctraining.org which is designed to help people who cannot (or do not want to) attend a three day course to get their DSC Level1. I thought I would explain here how it came about.

Last year, a friend and I were in exactly that position. We couldn't afford the time to go on a three day course and because we have been stalking and shooting for some years now, including witrh target shotting clubs, we didn't feel it necessary to spend time again going through the basics of shooting and safety.

There are many different ways to learn. I find it easier to be given questions and answers to learn rather than read everything in a book. I design websites and presentations so looked at some of the interactive DVD's which are on the market. I'm not going to decry these products because they do a good job, but I thought I could do it differently. I developed a presentation which we used to learn the theory, then took our test on a single day at http://www.doningtondeermanagement.co.uk/ with Dave Stretton and Mark - great guys and a great service!

I am pleased to say that I only dropped 1 question in the whole of the test (my mate dropped 4 ).

After that I began building the website and it has been used by friends who have also gone on to pass their tests - so we think it works well.

As I have said, I am not going to decry other products but a word of warning, particularly to those who pass copies of things around. The DMQ who manage the DSC frequently update their questions, and it's these updated questions which you will face in your DSC test. So, if you have blagged a copy of a training manual, or maybe a copy of the Jelen or BASC DVD's, you may be doing yourself a dis-favour. Apart from the fact that piracy is illegal, it may be that you haven't got their latest most up to date version, so you could get to the test and find that you haven't seen some of the questions.

The good thing about the website is that we don't have that problem. As soon as we become aware that there has been a change, we update our question bank to suit.

Another word of caution here. If you are not experienced in shooting or stalking, you cannot learn enough from these types of services in themselves to pass the test. You really should get some practical tuition about the safe handling of rifles, and how to shoot safely.

So, if you are thinking about doing your DSC level 1, have a look at the website http://www.dsctraining.org and other training services to find the one which suits you best, swot!, then take your test .... Good Luck!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSDAvatar.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	11502
    Last edited by DSC trainer; 09-01-2012 at 11:13.

I am that mate . Well i was, not sure about that now

This is just what I have been looking for, a mate of mine has just passed his DSC 1, but it was over two weekends in the shooting season.
    I have just 'tried it for free' and will probably be back to sign up.
    Just need to find somewhere not too far away to do the test.

Quote Originally Posted by nick100 View Post
    This is just what I have been looking for, a mate of mine has just passed his DSC 1, but it was over two weekends in the shooting season.
    I have just 'tried it for free' and will probably be back to sign up.
    Just need to find somewhere not too far away to do the test.
    Try these, thats who Steve (DSC Trainer) and i did it with. http://www.doningtondeermanagement.co.uk/ - Dave Stretton and Mark. I'm sure people from your area came up to it. It's near East Mids airport. But if you do go with them plse tell them where you got the reference from - cheers

All the best mate and I can recommend the site (having had a little help in "breaking it in" and revising like crazy with Steve)

Andrew

Davd Stretton & his son Mark, are recognised throughout the deer stalking world, as up there with the best.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Andrew,
    thanks for that, not too far I think my mate nearly ended up in wales to do the shooting test.

Nick

We can organise the test and conduct the shooting test on our range, check the website for course dates, the test day is always a Monday. We do the course through BASC so the literature and course content is the same. I think the shooting test in Wales will be with the BDS who run a course at Cirencester and then drive 1 1/4 hours over the Severn bridge (toll) to spend a day on the worlds worst range, usually over the first two weekends of the doe culling season - genius. We run the same course from Cirencester and use my range, 3 miles away from the venue! I did offer the BDS my range but they weren't interested!

HME

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range
    Last edited by HME; 09-01-2012 at 19:19.

Totally agree dsc trainer read books/swated up had a 2 day course in feb 2012 learned more from my trainer in 2 days than 6 months of reading books and mock tests big thanks to John Wilson /Barry thom