Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeper's pay.

Keeper's pay.

A farming friend of mine has been running a game shoot over about 1500 acres in North Wilts for a few years now, and has decided that it is the time to take on a full time keeper. He has been releasing about 3,000 - 4,000 pheasants and 1,000 ducks. What would a reasonable salary be for a single handed keeper?
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 09-01-2012 at 10:56.

14K+ house and vehicle with heating, dog allowances etc.

For that number of birds he'd be better off with a decent part timer or double the birds to give more days to pay for the wages.

Thanks, Chopper. His main wood is 150 acres, and the rest is in arable rotation with game strips, leys and ponds. He might consider putting more birds down, but he is also keen on conservation; there is a good population of hares, lapwings etc, and he wants to re-establish grey partridges....vermin control is therefore high on his list of priotities! It is essentially a private shoot, but a number of days are sold each year to subsidise the running costs. Part time keepers are in very short supply around here, as there are a lot of small scale farm shoots all competing to attract the best ones.
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 09-01-2012 at 14:57.

Whereabouts in North Wiltshire? I have a pool of very talented young keepers who have all experienced running a college shoot and in many cases have been under keeping throughout their studies. We are near Chippenham and are always willing to help out on local shoots, support part time keepers and direct out best students to local estates. Feel free to PM me if we can be of assistance.

To answer the original question I would suggest 20,000 -any benefits (house/bills/car) would be a reasonable starting point, but what I think keepers should earn and what they do earn is usually quite different!

not many keepers earning 20,000 plus house bills and car i know (but if your offering that send me a aplication form!!!), now is the right time of year to looking around tho with the end of the season looming moonraker and any jobs like the one your talking about is going to attract a lot of people

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    not many keepers earning 20,000 plus house bills and car i know (but if your offering that send me a aplication form!!!), now is the right time of year to looking around tho with the end of the season looming moonraker and any jobs like the one your talking about is going to attract a lot of people
    That dash is supposed to be a minus. As in 20k minus house/bills/car expenditure. And while I understand all these vacancies that appear at this time of year it wouldn't hurt to have a few turn up in May for my lads! Academic year is the bane of my life!

single handed keeper 16k plus house dog food allowance phone council tax and heating allowance most under keepers on 14 plus i know of couple of single handed keepers on 20k plus perks head keepers in excess depending on the shoot and how good they are!!!!!!!!

If the sole income is off 5000 birds I doubt very much if he could afford a full time 'keeper.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Dan, this isn't a commercial shoot, a few days are sold to subsidise the owners sport. It is done on a not for profit basis, and he'll be happy if it breaks even.
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 09-01-2012 at 20:33.

i know two keepers who are single handed and put down 3000 birds and the bosses are happy for 8-10 days shooting and running at a loss but are proud of their shoot and dont mind loosing a bit of money as the end of the day they have vermin kept under control and lots of wild life to see, also they possible claiming grants for conservation matters wich can be off set against keepering cost ie wild bird cover crops , and hedgerow grants , wet habbitat, bettle banks ect ect