Thread: Westley Richards boots

Westley Richards boots

does anyone use westley richards safari boots or similar for stalking, any comments or experiences with them? ie. good, bad, useless in damp conditions, useless in general, best thing ever (why), etc.

cheers

I wear them when in Africa, and as a daily boot over here, mine are elephant skin, so durable as hell. When you first get them they are not very comfortable and offer little in the way of ankle or arch support, but after fitting some Scholl insoles and wearing them in, they are fantastic.

Pretty useless as a stalking boot in our climate as they are not waterproof, and have a sole that clogs with mud easily. But the best boot for African Bushvelt hunting IMO.

If you want something similar that you could use over here, check out

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/

these are made to measure from patterns that you send them of your feet, and there are many options, and not too ridiculous price wise.

thanks for sharing your comments and the link.

Beware the Russel boots in my experience. The first pair I had were great but the sole wore out and on replacement the boot size was altered! I subsequently bought another two pairs and was measured up by Russell's themselves. The boots didnt fit. Not only that but they were different between the two models! At the time I was living in Africa full time and it was too complicated to send them back, so it was an expensive mistake. The Westley Richards boots are great, but not in the wet. What about the viking dry boot for lowland use?

Quote Originally Posted by BWH View Post
    Beware the Russel boots in my experience. The first pair I had were great but the sole wore out and on replacement the boot size was altered! I subsequently bought another two pairs and was measured up by Russell's themselves. The boots didnt fit. Not only that but they were different between the two models! At the time I was living in Africa full time and it was too complicated to send them back, so it was an expensive mistake. The Westley Richards boots are great, but not in the wet. What about the viking dry boot for lowland use?
    Interesting info, i've never heard anything but good reports on Russells bit of a worry as you are trusting that they know how to make them the right size!!!

I have the Westley Richards Courtney boots and wore them in Namibia last year, are great and very comfortable, without any wearing in, souls are very quiet for stalking, but as said don't think they would be up to much for over here, but if your going over ever year they are certainly worth buying.

Moose

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    Interesting info, i've never heard anything but good reports on Russells bit of a worry as you are trusting that they know how to make them the right size!!!
    Another professional hunter that i worked with thought they were fantastic and never had a problem, (he had two or three pairs I think) but as I say, my experience wasnt good!

they look like great boots, but I have to admit that if you look at the 'sale' pdf, there are A LOT of boots for sale marked 2nd hand, etc. - I'm guessing since these are custom boots, those are all refunds or returns due to poor/no fit..

http://www.courteneyboot.com/boots.php

Would love some for summer use, especially the patrol. I have two friends who regularly shoot in southern Africa and they have both ended up buying the Courtney Patrol Boot. Both have put superfeet insoles into them and swear by them. But they only come out to play here in the summer. Typical of boots before breathable membranes. But if you treat them with a waterproofing agent they will turn the dew. And you will have something very few others do and they will last your lifetime if they are re-soled.

Simon

Ive seen westley , he get realy upset if anyone wears his boots