Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .17HMR Accuracy Expectations...?!

.17HMR Accuracy Expectations...?!

I've had mine about a year, and initially thought it was brilliant, until I started reading about 1/2" groups at 100yds which mine has definitely never been able to do! (I can manage 1" groups at 100yds with 5 shots of a 22lr and 3 shots of a .243 so I'm pretty sure it's not me).

I've tried everything - different mods, different ammo, different scopes, benchrests, crown checking, cleaaning, not-cleaning, etc - the only things I can think it might be is that I live on the south coast and there is always a little wind here, and I have a 16" barrel which depending on who you talk to means there is only one turn of the rifleing + less FPS and this can mean it's unstable past 80yds?!!!?!

I came across this american post, and further down on the replies FranknHollow goes into the lack of consistency of weight of the HMR rounds, and the fact that it is so light the slightest wind will throw it all over the place: UtahConcealedCarry.Com View topic - 17HMR accuracy expectation - Need opinions

Has anyone else had issues at 100yds when punching paper? - yes I can cleanly kill at this distance, but this winter I've inexplicably totally missed a few really easy shots at 100 and can only put it down to the increased wind. I've lost confidence in my 17HMR and am just sticking with my .22 and .243 until I work out what the issue is.

Does anyone have experience of this and if so can you genuinely do single hole groups at 100yds? - if so what are the specifics of your rifle?

I'm either going to up this to a 20" barrel, or just say b*llox to it and get a .223 or a 222! - I'm using it for bunny and the odd close fox, but may as well use my .22 for bunny and chop my .17 in for a 223/222 for fox and the odd bunny!

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    ... but may as well use my .22 for bunny and chop my .17 in for a 223/222 for fox and the odd bunny!
    There you have solved your own problem.... Get rid and get a 222rem.

Truth be told, the HMR can be really accurate, a decent one should be able to do 0.5" no bother, I have seen this with a couple of Rugers and an Anschutz or two also.

I bought a CZ 455 last year - completely ****, 2" at best. Sent it back and it was replaced. The new one will do .6-.7 or thereabouts for 5 rounds which I suppose is OK. Turns out the old one had a flaw in the crown. A gunsmith tells me that those little bullets are very vulnerable to the slightest crown damage.

They are also touchy about cleaning. Some need cleaned every 40 or 50 rounds, others only shoot when well fouled.

They are crap, get a 222.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I have one of the so called decent ones and to be perfectly honest for a rimfire with famously crap quality control on ammo regardless of brand I am happy with 1" at 100 yds! (in practice the range I did this was 130yds)

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I have one of the so called decent ones and to be perfectly honest for a rimfire with famously crap quality control on ammo regardless of brand I am happy with 1" at 100 yds! (in practice the range I did this was 130yds)
    Thanks Bewsher - do you have a 16" barrel or longer?

In my experience, even a 22 WMR is better than an HMR.

I am curious. Your gun has lost it's brilliance in comparison to someone elses HMR?? Is it less brilliant or is the other guy's HMR stellar?? Don't believe all the 1/2" HMR stories. I have shot the occasional .5" with mine, but most are in the 1" class. It's all dependent on the ammo LOT you get.~Muir

PS: I have shot 14" handguns in HMR and there is no loss of stability...

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    There you have solved your own problem.... Get rid and get a 222rem.

Truth be told, the HMR can be really accurate, a decent one should be able to do 0.5" no bother, I have seen this with a couple of Rugers and an Anschutz or two also.

I bought a CZ 455 last year - completely ****, 2" at best. Sent it back and it was replaced. The new one will do .6-.7 or thereabouts for 5 rounds which I suppose is OK. Turns out the old one had a flaw in the crown. A gunsmith tells me that those little bullets are very vulnerable to the slightest crown damage.

They are also touchy about cleaning. Some need cleaned every 40 or 50 rounds, others only shoot when well fouled.

They are crap, get a 222.
    Thanks Claret much appreciated - how does the .222 compare to the 17HMR in terms of sound? Is it worth getting a .223 instead or is the .222 better?

When you saw the HMR's doing decent groups - was it still conditions? What lengths were the barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    In my experience, even a 22 WMR is better than an HMR.

I am curious. Your gun has lost it's brilliance in comparison to someone elses HMR?? Is it less brilliant or is the other guy's HMR stellar?? Don't believe all the 1/2" HMR stories. I have shot the occasional .5" with mine, but most are in the 1" class. It's all dependent on the ammo LOT you get.~Muir

PS: I have shot 14" handguns in HMR and there is no loss of stability...
    Thanks Muir - trouble is I've never seen anyone else shoot an HMR so have no comparison! All I can go by is the internet stories, which I try and take with a pich of salt, but when my HMR is opening up to about 2.5"+ it makes me wonder - the link on my original post is about what mine look like - they're central but spread wide! I can handle the odd flyer from poor manufacturing, but feel there's either something wrong with my gun or HMR's are ridiculously affected by the wind!

p.s. Is your HMR rifle a longer or shorter version - I know it shouldn't affect it, but I used to find in my air rifle days (I had 2 identical falcons but one was a carbine) that hollowpoints were less stable at longer ranges when I used the carbine than when I used the 19" version...

Thanks Bewsher - do you have a 16" barrel or longer?
    22"

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    22"
    LOL! Hmmm... Most people who I genuinely believe are getting good groups seem to have 20"+ barrels, so I guess maybe in part the question is going back to the old barrel length debate (which in my opinion is more about twist rate and barrel length combined).

I''d chop mine in tomorrow for a 20" but the serial number finishes in my lucky number (even though it hasn't proven lucky this time!!!) - variation is likely to take 12-18weeks in my neck of the woods though

Thanks Muir - trouble is I've never seen anyone else shoot an HMR so have no comparison! All I can go by is the internet stories, which I try and take with a pich of salt, but when my HMR is opening up to about 2.5"+ it makes me wonder - the link on my original post is about what mine look like - they're central but spread wide! I can handle the odd flyer from poor manufacturing, but feel there's either something wrong with my gun or HMR's are ridiculously affected by the wind!

p.s. Is your HMR rifle a longer or shorter version - I know it shouldn't affect it, but I used to find in my air rifle days (I had 2 identical falcons but one was a carbine) that hollowpoints were less stable at longer ranges when I used the carbine than when I used the 19" version...
    I have four of them under my roof. Two have 22" custom barrels, one with a 20" custom barrel, and the other with a 20" factory barrel. Seventeen HMR mmo is very inconsistent these days but the less you clean the rifle -I mean, I never clean mine- the better off the accuracy. It took upwards of 300 rounds to shoot the factory manufacturing lube from the barrels on these rifles. Marlin used to recommend NOT cleaning the bore on their HMR's because they are so cleaning sensitive.~Muir