Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17HMR - Burning out a Barrel in 2000 rnds?!

.17HMR - Burning out a Barrel in 2000 rnds?!

I'm having accuracy issues with my 17HMR which I've started a thread about that already, but during my research I was told that an HMR has a lifespan of about 2000 rounds before the barrel is burnt out!

Due to the accuracy issues I've with this gun, the amount I go out bunny bashing, and the fact that I'm quite into paper-punching for hours after I've zeroed, I've probably easily done over 1000 rounds in the last 12 months...

Does anyone know if the 2000 rounds thing is true?

If so I'm definitely PX'ing mine in soon and will never by a s/h HMR!!!

Burning two or three grains of powder per shot?

Sounds like so much rubbish to me.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post

I will second that, complete nonsense a 17 hmr barrel will probably out last you !!
    been shooting a 17 rem for years and if I had believed all the hype about burning out
    barrels I would have never learned the true virtue if that little cal,give it a clean now
    and then and stop worrying good luck and safe shooting!!

I really don't think an hmr burns out after 2000 rounds !! Mine has had several 000's of rounds through it and it as accurate as ever !!

Much as I hate to say and have only ever done so once, maybe a clean might help? I use a bore snake after every outing but that is all apart from a rub over with an oily rag before going back into the cabinet (as long as it hasn't been wet).

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

PS it is only the humble CZ452.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post

Was thinking it sounded odd - I emptied out an HMR case to see what the burn was like; very slow compared to the .22lr load!

Do you think he could have meant barrel wear? Would 2000 rounds of copper coated HMR rounds wear a barrel sufficiently to affect accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I really don't think an hmr burns out after 2000 rounds !! Mine has had several 000's of rounds through it and it as accurate as ever !!

Much as I hate to say and have only ever done so once, maybe a clean might help? I use a bore snake after every outing but that is all apart from a rub over with an oily rag before going back into the cabinet (as long as it hasn't been wet).

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

PS it is only the humble CZ452.
    I totally rate the CZ452 - best gun on the maket IMO - cheap and nothing to go wrong! Tried the cleaning thing, so am gonna try just not cleaning it and see if that works - works with my .22!!! (though I appreciate they're very different rounds!)

Just out of interest Philip, how long is your barrel and are you getting sub 1/2" groups at 100yds like everyone seems to say?

Hi. When I go out feeding, the .17 is the weapon of choice for me as (with care) it can be used on everything from a fox to a rat, brilliant round. I've had mine for years and certainly its had more than 2k rounds through it and it's still fine. If you are having zero problems, maybe the answer lies elsewhere.

Good luck.

17HMR - Burning out a Barrel in 2000 rnds?! i was told you have to clean barrel every 10 shots total tosh i have a cz american gets cleaned now and then, brill bit of kit
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

I used 4000 rounds in the first three months I had mine (CZ452 with 16" varmint barrel) and it still shot tiny groups.

When it eventually went off I blamed then eliminated everything.

I cleaned it properly (removed carbon/copper the works) and it went back to half inch or better.

Had it about three years and probably done 10,000 rounds, still shoots half inch when I do my bit.

.17HMR is all made in the same place, using Li'L Gun powder, this powder is a real filthy burner, I used to have to clean out the mod every 150 rounds or so, loads of crud ,damp stinky rubbish! accuracy was returned straight away after a couple of fouling rounds, your barrel will not burn out in 2000 rounds.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!