Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First deer to BT

First deer to BT

Hers some pics of the first deer to took with a ballistic tip. I know one shot doesnt decide as such but thought I would post them as a matter of interest. Load was 47 grains N160 /.264 Nosler BT in a 6.5x55, my normal load is the same but with Pro hunters...they just make a small hole and a 1.5 inch exit.
    The deer as you see was slighty quartering as you will see...The bullet as you will see made a bigger hole going in than on exit..it actually removed most of the muscle from the chest.
    Last edited by chickenman; 09-01-2012 at 17:46.

No offence intended, but you have driven a bullet out through a heavily boned and fleshed shoulder-what were you expecting other than massive damage? You can't blame bullet construction for that damage. You should, however, blame the placement of that bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    my normal load is the same but with Pro hunters...they just make a small hole and a 1.5 inch exit.
    But what results would you have expected from the Pro Hunter after a similar strike? A bit apples & oranges with that one I think, would be interesting to see how a boiler house through and through compared though.

I would use BT's on Deer,but,not on chest shots,I would limit it to head/neck shots otherwise you are most certainly going to get that sort of damage over and over again.Also with your soft nose rounds that same shot wouldn't of gone in the green(most likely)which means you are cutting down on the possible shots you will be confident on taking.Head/neck shooting is always going to be controversial at best,but,no more in my opinion than using BT's for anything but Head/neck shots,and I am sure you will get a few differing ideas

Martin

Here we go again
    Noslers are one of the best bullets about.End of

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Here we go again
    Noslers are one of the best bullets about.End of
    Agree, Nosler .30 calibre 150gr Hunting Ballistic Tips are all I've ever used in my .308 on everything from Muntjac up to the biggest red stags. I don't understand why chest shots would not be advised unless there is some confusion arising over varmint BTs compared to hunting BTs?

I work the swede as well and chest shoot a lot of deer,bullet placement counts for a lot,even on quartering shots I don't get that kind of a mess
    Varmint bullets as opposed to hunting bullets as Orion says may well cause that mess
    What weight of nosler was it?

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

thanks for posting photos. just what i want to see as all the clips on you tube seem to be shooting plastic milk bottles. was there much bubbly meat if that makes sense. i found this a lot with my 243 the entry and exits used to sound squishy. ( not sure if this is just down to bullet speed or construction )

In my 6.5 I could have shot the beast where that bullet tracked and almost gaurantee it wouldn't do that damage.
    But I use a slooow soft point.
    I know I can't be sure but after 100s of roe taken with this bullet am quite sure.
    Though my deer might have run 40m's
    Bet that one didn't go 10!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    What weight of nosler was it?
    +1
    weight and TYPE of BT please - there's game versions and there's varmint versions
    I was going to say that maybe you had loaded it a bit fast, but then I remembered you were using a 6.5x55 - sorry
    Like Orion I use 150gr Nosler BT for my .308win (in Norma ammo in my case) without any bother.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work