What to do re a young shooter (very young) and the Sec 11 thing

nthor

Here is my thoughts, my son has been to a clay shoot a few times, I have a small .410 for him that he can just hold. Hitting any flying clay is not going to happen for some time so the shoot lets me put some on a bank and he has a few shots every now and then when he comes.

I have land where I can shoot (permissions) and for me I think my taking him there with no distraction to help him get more settled and with far less distraction and no one watching will help.

He has no gun safety at this time but wants to copy dad and come shooting, so I believe "one on one" is better learning and safer?

So I put a call into FLO today to test the water and was told that I am correct he would need his own licence to shoot on land where I have permission and the landowner is not with us, but due to his age they would not consider him for a licence as the youngest they have at this time is 9 years.

So we are stuck with the distraction of the clay shoot (who are very supportive) and I cant take him someplace less busy until maybe he is nearer to 9 and I then apply for his licence.

He is 6 but tall for his age (wheres 7-8 clothing) I wanted to take him out with me but alas to stay on the right side of the law he will have to wait. I can't see the issue in granting a licence as all it allows in reality is for me to do some "one on one" (I would always have at least three of us anyway for safety)

Have any of you got you children with a shotgun license who are very young and if so what force, I am in Avon and Somerset.

Do you think there is any point in pressing the issue or is this a bag of worms best left alone for a couple of years?

There is no legal minimum age for the application and granting of a SGC, however at 6 years old i too dont think the police will grant your son a licence.
My son has been wanting to go shooting with me for years but i said not until he is 12, he has 10 months to go and then i will be enrolling him into my shooting club but he wont be able to borrow my rifle in the field untill he is 17, although at 14 he can be granted a FAC and be given a rifle and ammunition.

Ian.

why is the land OWNER's presence of relevance?
land owner and being authorised to shoot on the land are two different things.
Surely if the land owner is happy with you taking your son out to gain experience then it matters not whether it is clay ground or rough shoot.

I certainly shot before I was 9.
I held a shotgun cert as early as possible as I was a member of a clay club and taken there by my godfather. I forget what age I was under 14, I am almost sure of it. that may have changed to the current age sometime ago though.

how do new shooters gain experience and see if they like it enough to justify applying for a license in order to continue doing it by themselves?

Whitebeard I think the age has risen to 18 now and not 17 for borrowing under the estate rifle rule.

With regard to shooting at a clay ground there are special rules and exemptions here as long as the ground has been approved by the Chief Constable. I think that the best source of information regarding young people shooting and also any exemptions under such things as the estate rifle rule can be obtained from the BASC website as its not quite as simple as most shooters think.

Hi 8x57.
I have just checked thr BASC website and it says it is legal for someone of 17 or older to borrow an estate but the lender must now be over 18.
Also the age from which a person my buy or hire a firearm has been raised from 17 to 18.

Ian.

Yes I knew that there had been some changes but wasn't certain about the details. The rules are even more confused than previously.

There was a 7 year old granted a cert

BBC News - Shotgun licences given to children under 10, BBC learns

You are completely correct that to use a gun your child needs their own cert unless you own the land on which you are shooting:

You may only lend a shotgun to someone without a certificate if you are with that person, on land of which you are legally the occupier OR if you are at a clay pigeon shoot where the chief constable has granted special permission to allow non-certificate holders to shoot.

BASC - Shotgun Code of Practice

I do worry sometimes about certificate holders lack of knowledge of the law. There is NO 'estate rifle' rule equivalent concerning shotguns.

If you are feeling like a fight and prepared to take things to appeal if you had to I bet you could get one for your lad. Good luck!

There was a 7 year old granted a cert

BBC News - Shotgun licences given to children under 10, BBC learns

You are completely correct that to use a gun your child needs their own cert unless you own the land on which you are shooting:

You may only lend a shotgun to someone without a certificate if you are with that person, on land of which you are legally the occupier OR if you are at a clay pigeon shoot where the chief constable has granted special permission to allow non-certificate holders to shoot.

BASC - Shotgun Code of Practice

I do worry sometimes about certificate holders lack of knowledge of the law. There is NO 'estate rifle' rule equivalent concerning shotguns.

If you are feeling like a fight and prepared to take things to appeal if you had to I bet you could get one for your lad. Good luck!

I may well do that, my FAC is up for renewal in a few months so I may send in an application for my Son at the same time, it can then be discussed during the home visit etc. After all, all I am asking is to be able to teach my Son one on one away from distractions and to do that and stay legal he will need a licence

There is no minimum age below which persons may not hold a shotgun certificate. Thus young people of whatever age may apply for one provided that they are physically capable of handling a gun. However, the following provisions apply:

http://www.fieldsportuk.co.uk/about-us/laws/

I think its a great idea to get youngsters involved early in life (for those with an interest) they learn all about safety which becomes second nature to them as they grow.

http://www.northern.police.uk/Firearms-Licensing/firearm-shotgun-age-restrictions.html

Last edited:
Back