Thread: Shotgun Magazine restriction

Shotgun Magazine restriction

Hi Fellas

Have any of you recently had a magazine tube on a semi auto shotgun restricted to reduce the mag capacity? If so who did the work and how much roughly did it cost. I assume that reproofing would be necessary thereafter to confirm that it is no longer a section 1

Cheers

S

S

i'm pretty certain that the PH would have to send a report to your respective constabulary to confirm that the SG is now restricted.

(whilst its not the same weapon, I know that Sect 1 air rifles that are brought doen to sub 12 ft lbs have to have similar certification)

That said, there are numerous anecdotes of people buying weapons with the assumption they are 3 shot (2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber) to find they are not restricted at all....

Onus on the owner and RFD to check ....

Dave Wylde at Valkerie Rifles / South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies does alot of work with SG for practical comps - he should be able to assist with an accurate answer.

Drop me a text if you want Daves mob number.

I have not had it done but would agree with the other posters on reporting to the police after the work
    has been done with gunsmith's paperwork, also if it is a 3.5" chambered gun check how many
    2.5" shells the mag will hold as alot of people who hold theese are technically breaking the law as the
    mag will hold 3 rounds making them a section 1 shotgun.

A certificate from one of the proof houses confirming that the restiction of magazine capacity work was carried out using one of the approved/accepted methods should be obtained. When buying an older gun that has had the magazine restricted it's always worth asking for the certificate. Some people used to recommend rolling up the certificate in a plastic bag and inserting it in the stock hole under the butt plate so that it didn't get lost.
    The Birmingham proof house used to have information on restricting shotgun magazines on its website, I'm not sure if that information is still there but it's worth a look.
    Some of the actioneers around our way will not accept pump and semi auto shotguns as being restricted unless accompanied by the necessary certificate and as such will only sell them as section 1 firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Hi Fellas

Have any of you recently had a magazine tube on a semi auto shotgun restricted to reduce the mag capacity? If so who did the work and how much roughly did it cost. I assume that reproofing would be necessary thereafter to confirm that it is no longer a section 1

Cheers

S
    What make of shotgun is it? It may be easier and cheaper to replace the mag tube with a restricted one. I sourced a replacement tube for a Beretta Urika for 45 last year.

ON my Browning Auto Five the mag tube is stamped by the proof house to show it's restricted in accordance with the law. No certificate came with it.

When a friend passed away suddenly some years ago I landed up arranging the sale of some of his guns through a local auctioneer, one of the guns incidentally was his Browning auto. I know that he had this gun and a savage pump restricted through a local gundealer (one of the big ones) and that certificates had been issued by the Birmingham proof house but we were unable to locate them. Although proof marks were present on the magazine tubes of each gun the auctioneers would only sell them as unrestricted and consequently both guns went for a song. Things seem to have gone full circle now and unrestricted pumps and autos seem to fetch a bit of a premium compared to restricted guns.

Thanks fellas helpful as usual, will speak to a few dealers locally to check what can be done

Cheers

Hi

I had a pump restricted when the law changed and the job looked like a blunt pipecutter was used to put a dent in the mag tube then it went to the proof house for stamping and a cert issued.
    Cheers

Dickie