Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Vision Advice

Night Vision Advice

Hello,

Can anyone advise on a NV scope that would be best for foxing on my .204, is the Pulsar N550 the best value for money or is it worth saving up the extra for a Gen2??

Many thanks
    Simon

Well, what a question. Heres another one. How long is a piece of string?
    Simple answer http://www.starlightnv.co.uk/ Grade D archer. Will do all you need. And it's gen 3
    There are lots of reasons for buying different NV kit. Money usually is a bit of a factor.
    But others such as the land you shoot over, the distance you want to shoot over, etc etc.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

They look real good bits of kit.

They are.

I use mine weekly. But there is a knack to using it correctly. You have to take time setting it up correctly. There are others and there are pros and cons to everything but I like mine and wouldn't be without it. I wrote a review on a different forum I can point you to if your interested.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Well, what a question. Heres another one. How long is a piece of string?
    twice as long as it is from the middle to one end

Quote Originally Posted by Nomis View Post
    Hello,Can anyone advise on a NV scope that would be best for foxing on my .204, is the Pulsar N550 the best value for money or is it worth saving up the extra for a Gen2??Many thanksSimon
    My advice would be get the highest generation that you can as the earlier Gen Intensifier tubes are less resilient to bright lights. For example a Gen 1 tube may be damaged but the flash of a car or gun lamp as it crosses your field of vision. The lated tubes have automatic gain control that helps to reduce this damage. Some can be used in daylight without any damage.

Thanks everybody, I had not come across starlight before. I would be interested in reading your review Singing Stalker, I expect to be shooting at about 100m and not any further than 200m could you further explain about the knack of getting the setup correct?

There was a review on a new bit of kit for NV that fits on your normal scope on Field sports channel lastnight, but they do say not suitable for a 243 so your 204 might be a bit heavy as well

http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/

Hello

I use a Pulsar N550 Digisight, and twinned with a Laserluchs Laser IR, or indeed Pulsar's relatively inexpensive new L-808 Laser, it is a formidable device. Even in low ambient light with the L-808 i can comfortably use it for spotting small ground game out to 150meters.

I have vast experience in night vision use, and can honestly say the N550 would be my first choice when it comes to budget night vision.

Using the word "budget" for a 1000 piece of NV kit might be frowned upon but having used many Gen 2+ devices over the years, you really do need to spend almost double that to get comparable performance, certainally for rimfire and centrefire ranges out to 200meters.

I have used a few 3k pieces of junk that really beg the question that you should always try something before you buy it.

Should you be interested, Scott Country offer a "try at home" demo Digisight, where you can borrow it for 7 days and try it in the field.

There is lots of heresay in Night Vision and I urge you to try kit before you make your decision as the Digisight does take a lot of beating and it, like any product, has fans and foes, but people who have used them properly will tell you how they take a lot of beating for the cash.

Mike Powell from Sporting Rifle uses lots of night vision kit for example, and his own device is an N550 Digisight.....

Thanks for reading

Paul

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk
    Last edited by Scott Country; 12-01-2012 at 14:26. Reason: typo