"Calibre" or "Cartridge"?

When I applied for each CF I was advised by my FEO to list the cartridge size and metric bullet size, ie .223/5.56mm, .260/6.5mm or .308/7.62.
I know I was very lucky as I never had a problem under Bedford, but every variation went straight through.

As for the moderator I was told, again by my FEO, that it is a slot which allows me to use a moderator on that rifle and that if I chose to buy a moderator with a 9mm hole through it to use on a .223 rifle that was my choice. As most moderators are not proofed they can be bought without an FAC, but must be declared on the FAC before they can legally be used on an FAC listed rifle.
Once the moderator is declared on an FAC it is classed as that calibre and therfore can only be sold to someone with an equivalent slot on their ticket, or, as I have done, handed in to the FLO and they renewed my slot allowing me to buy a calibre specific moderator.

Just my experience.

Whilst technically you are correct regarding the bore size, I do think you may be splitting the hairs a Tad too fine on this point. Ok a 243 is actually a 6mm head in a brass case, so if you went to buy ammo for that Rifle what would you ask for? 6mm 100 grn or 243 100grn? The lets look at the 22/250 again would you ask for 22/250 50 grn bullets or .224 50grn bullets? I want to buy a 25-06 do I ask for a 25 cal and get a Roberts or a 257 wetherby mag. Not trying to be an Donkey but its a bit of a grey area. I know we are actually asking for the round we intend using when we purchase our rifle and the land we use it on is passed suitable for that particular round. After all a 6mm PPc is just that and a 243 is just that, they just use the same head.

nutty

Well I remember having to try and explain to my FEO who was visiting to do a renewal a few years ago why I had 6mm Nosler bullets to reload my .243 when there was NO mention of 6mm on my ticket, he got quite shirty about it initially even after an in depth explaination!!
the calibre really refers to the rifles chambering and not the bore diametre, although .224 bullets are used to load .222, .223 and .22-250 the cartridge and rifle chambers are hugely different as you know, and the difference in energy produced by say a .22 hornet and .22-250AI are massively different, so merely having .22 centrefire or similar wording wouldn't really be of much use IMHO

Once the moderator is declared on an FAC it is classed as that calibre and therfore can only be sold to someone with an equivalent slot on their ticket, or, as I have done, handed in to the FLO and they renewed my slot allowing me to buy a calibre specific moderator.

Incorrect once again. For instance I own on sound moderator for centre fires and use it on 3 different calibres. The moderator has no noticeable calibre markings, you have to strip to to tell by the baffle stack which is marked, so I use the same moderator on:

.24 cal, .25 cal and .26 cal rifles chambered for .243 Win, .25-06 Rem and 6.5x55. So pray how does Plod decide what calibre the mod is IF what was quoted is indeed true?

Orion, so should I have asked for a .224" then? Because that is the calibre I will own. Or should the guidance/regulations be changed so that they get the information they actually require, what the rifle is, will be, chambered for? Not the calibre!

My whole point is that the form of information the police/FEO's are told to ask for is flawed, and this has been done with the assisstance of those awfully nice people at BASC, who have a firearms department, who you would think would know the correct terminology/nomenclature for the information that the police require:old:

All they need to do is open a dictionary or ask a riflesmith.

Simon

Edit: What really annoyed me was when I was told by the FEO that the dictionary definition and the term as used by riflesmiths is and I quote, "Wrong". "What the Home Office writes is correct as they make the law". It fair floored me with the arrogance of the statement.

S.

Ahhhhh why would this even surprise you? Surely by now after dealing with these people for the years that you have you have realised they are not only in main incompetent but arrogant in the extreme. As the Firearms Licensing Officer for my county said in our front room:

We do not make mistakes, we cannot make mistakes and are incapable of making mistakes

Just how arrogant is that? Said in front my my family and a council member from the HBSA before flouncing out after being asked to show where in the act and the guidance to police it said what she was saying.

Brit, you have suffered more than most in this respect! But all I would like is for there to be accuracy of terminology. Our police forces are advised by BASC who, I am told by my FEO, came up with this wording. What is going on?

As for our FEO's and the firearms department, it is changing quickly and for the better. They threw out the consultants and asked the folks doing the job how it could be streamlined and made to work better.

To their utmost credit our FEO's set to and made what was a complete dogs breakfast into a very workable system. Their reccommendations were followed and authorised by senior management and the turnaround time is now reducing hugely. Hope is not lost!

But as for nomclature, as advised by BASC, I think all is lost ;)

Simon

Brit, you have suffered more than most in this respect! But all I would like is for there to be accuracy of terminology. Our police forces are advised by BASC who, I am told by my FEO, came up with this wording. What is going on?

As for our FEO's and the firearms department, it is changing quickly and for the better. They threw out the consultants and asked the folks doing the job how it could be streamlined and made to work better.

To their utmost credit our FEO's set to and made what was a complete dogs breakfast into a very workable system. Their reccommendations were followed and authorised by senior management and the turnaround time is now reducing hugely. Hope is not lost!

Simon

yes simon you have the same firearms officer as me. mark is a pretty helpful guy. easy to get on with and it helps i think that he is a fellow shooter.

even though on my last visit. after asking him twice he put down 17 cf he said yes. the ticket come back with 17 hmr :doh:
mandy in the office soon changed it for me though. and sent it back as 17 cf so i could go and pick which .17 i wanted

Last edited:
I cannot see any changes being made in Lincolnshire eve though they are bankrupt through the horrendous waste of funds by the present managers and senior officers. Even the HO realise they're totally useless and flatly refused their demands for more money to squander. Yet not changes in operating procedure or anythign else just, waste, sorry business as usual.

Brit, you have suffered more than most in this respect! But all I would like is for there to be accuracy of terminology.
Our police forces are advised by BASC who, I am told by my FEO, came up with this wording. What is going on?

Simon
All of US, should be helping out here! Pull them up when say for instance you are authorised to aquire a 7mm R.U.M, where you should be having "7mm cal" rifle, & we should be using correct terminology too! HEADS?:stir:

Tell us more about this, Cooter.

Is it now possible to circumvent the disposal/acquisition 'audit trail' and cut out RFD's altogether?

Can everyone now just surrender their unwanted items to their FEO, or take it direct to the FLD for a swap FAC?

This sounds like a great wheeze. I'm dying to hear more from you on it :p

When I applied for each CF I was advised by my FEO to list the cartridge size and metric bullet size, ie .223/5.56mm, .260/6.5mm or .308/7.62.
I know I was very lucky as I never had a problem under Bedford, but every variation went straight through.

As for the moderator I was told, again by my FEO, that it is a slot which allows me to use a moderator on that rifle and that if I chose to buy a moderator with a 9mm hole through it to use on a .223 rifle that was my choice. As most moderators are not proofed they can be bought without an FAC, but must be declared on the FAC before they can legally be used on an FAC listed rifle.

Just my experience.

I was of the impression that ANY device to diminish noise or flash was classed as a firearm in itself.
You certainly could not walk into our local RFD and pay and collect a full-bore moderator without him seeing a variation on your ticket and making the appropriate entry.
I have done a one-for-one firearm exchange with a mod. slot and got a rifle instead.

HWH.

All of US, should be helping out here! Pull them up when say for instance you are authorised to aquire a 7mm R.U.M, where you should be having "7mm cal" rifle, & we should be using correct terminology too! HEADS?:stir:

Finn, someone beat you to it earlier in the threads:doh: But he meant it :banghead:

Simon

Back