Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First deer calibre question

First deer calibre question

Hi guys i want to put in for a deer calibre for paid stalking not to use on my cleard land but for paid stalks do you think i would be able to get a 6.5x55 on a first application? Also im guessing they will put an on whilst acompanied with an experienced stalker clause in, but if i pass my dsc1 and have a number of stalks under my belt would they then lift the restriction and if so roughly how long would this take?, ive only had my fac for around 6 months have 17,22,222 on my ticket on closed cert and there are no deer on my land i have cleared any help most appreciated

If you have 'good reason' for a deer-shooting rifle, then you should decide what calibre best suits your likely requirements with respect to species and terrain/range and apply for that calibre. Be prepared politely to assert your view on this, should the FEO not agree for whatever reason with your choice.

If you are offered some kind of 'accompanied' restriction, take this as an opportunity to show the FEO how well you understand the relationship between the ballistics of your current rifles, of your choice of deer rifle, and the safety of the public. Then perhaps ask him to explain in that context how the 'accompanied' condition will enhance the safety of the public.

If you do find yourself stuck with the accompanied condition, there is no standard timeframe to get it removed. It's a case of showing your FEO that you have gained the relevant experience so the more stalks you get in, the better.
    It took 5 months and letters from 3 different people who had accompanied me on stalks to get mine lifted, I even sent photos and receipts for stalks that I had been on prior to applying for a deer rifle.
    You may have to provide booking confirmation if you are intending only to do paid stalking.

BTW... There are better calibres
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    BTW... There are better calibres
    There are certainly different calibres - we don't even know what sort of stalking he wants it for yet!

Whether ot not he loads his own might also affect the choice....

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    There are certainly different calibres - we don't even know what sort of stalking he wants it for yet!

Whether ot not he loads his own might also affect the choice....
    Thanks for the info guys I would like to stalk all over the uk for all species not running before I can walk though I have been told that a 243 is sutable for a red stag but only just so though I would go up a calibre and have read good things about the Swede and have been told it is usually one of the calibres fao will accept for a first grant, I would also load my own have a friend who is into it big time so no worries there, what would you recommend guys this being a grant of a deer calibre and all cheers

You have Red locally so evidencing need for a swede shouldn't be difficult. If you are only doing paid stalking would an accompanied condition be too onerous? I would avoid it if you can though. Watch out you don't get had over as well- I did. The wanted me to be mentored (I've had FAC a long time but only .22LR but fired 100s of 1000s of rounds in the mob) for deer which I said I couldn't achieve so they said if I did DSC1 they would remove it. They did- kind of, they've now restricted me to high seats or an "elevated" position if unaccompanied (I'll carry a stool!) The same rifle; a .243, is also approved for fox without condition!
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    what would you recommend guys this being a grant of a deer calibre and all cheers
    Ask 10 stalkers and you'll get maybe 5 or 6 different answers

Me personally, I'd go with .270
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Ask 10 stalkers and you'll get maybe 5 or 6 different answers

Me personally, I'd go with .270
    What would be your reasons for going with the .270 over the swede mate is there something obvious between the calibres that im missing in general? thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    What would be your reasons for going with the .270 over the swede mate is there something obvious between the calibres that im missing in general? thanks mate
    This is not the right place on the site to discuss this, do a search in the firearms/ ammoí section, it has been debated to death over and over again, please donít start another thread on it, suffice to say some people love it, others think it is the biggest pile of steaming ****, some see it as an adequate deer calibre in comparison with others.

As said if you are shooting reds as an guest, especially stags or maybe the chance of boar and want something bigger then donít let the FLO push you into something smaller, remind him that the minimum for red stags on FC land and for night shooting used to be a 270, the deer have not got any smaller. If you want a 6.5X55 rather than have picked it because you think something bigger would be pushing your luck then fine buy a rifle in that calibre.

ATB

Tahr

So summarise Thar (if I may)
    Don't second-guess what the FEO might want you to want.
    You are the one with the good reason to possess a deer rifle, so you need to take advice from assorted sources and pick the calibre that best fits your needs. Then you'll need to have your sensible and coherently-argued reason for that choice ready in case the FEO has some reason to want you to have something different.