Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leica & Zeiss

Leica & Zeiss

I hope this type of question has not been shredded before.
    I am considering new binos and am torn between Leica and Zeiss both with built in RF. I am also mulling over the difference between mags etc, 8x42, 10x42, 8x56 or 10x56.
    I currently use a 7x50 scope so sticking to the lower mag may fit that better??
    The majority of my stalking is lowland woodland based, please can I have your advise and opinions,
    thanks.

Ive been through the same dilemma recently. I tried both at the weekend and before I got to the shop I thought the Zeiss would be the ones for me, but I didn't like the way they felt in my hands. The Zeiss felt bulky and didn't come up to my face as well if that makes sense. The Leicas felt great and ended up with the 10x42 Geovids and love them.
    When your spending that kind of money the top 3 Euro makes have superb optics, I can't tell the difference, so it comes down to how they feel to you.
    I was surprised that the Swaros only offer 2 years warranty on electronics on their range finders!

By the Swarovski 10x42 EL range, you will not be dissapointed.

I also tried the leica and zeiss but also thought the zeiss felt bulky in my hands.
    I bought the 8x42 leicas and am very happy with them.
    I also thought the 56 objective leicas would be to big and bulky for my needs.

I've been using the leica 8x42 for years, no problems. havent tried the zeiss ones. Tried using swaros binos(cause I think the glass is better) and separate rangefinders but lost some chances because of the time it takes to put binos down and get rf out of pocket

My zeiss must be 30 years old,however they did pick up some condensation.
    Gave zeiss a call, they told me to put them in the post for them.
    Came back good as new free of charge.
    Excellent service.
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.

Friend of mine has the Leica. We compared them with my bushnell 7x36 yardage pro and found the Leica to have a wider field of view and have better ergonomics in that they dont feel as bulky as the Bushnells. Other than that the range finding was the same and other than the wider field of view they were optically similar. I cant afford the leica's and I'm happy with the bushnells as they are substantially cheaper than the Leica's.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I have not tried either range finder model, but this might help:
    Zeiss 8x56 T* RF review http://www.allbinos.com/205-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_8x56_T*_RF.html
    Leica 8x56 HD-M Geovid review http://www.allbinos.com/206-binocula...8x56_HD-M.html

Looking at the light transmission curves, quite a bit of optical performance is sacrificed by sticking the range finder inside the binocular - compare the Victory FL/Victory RF or Ultravid HD/Geovid HD light transmission curves on that website. It is just my opinion, but if I am paying that much for a top-end binocular, I don't want to handicap its performance when I could carry a small separate rangefinder in my pocket. To my mind it is the same argument as spending money on a riflescope or binocular - you use the binocular far more than the time spent either aiming or ranging.

As for magnification, 8x generally offers a wider field of view, but low light performance in terms of the detail you can see is better with 10x (compare the twighlight factors in the specs), simply because the image is larger and closer to your eye. In my opinion the 10x42 format does not provide the same 'ease of use' as the 8x42 or 10x50/56 because the ext pupil is comparatively small.

I had the same dilemma a couple of years ago, I ended up going down to the Sportsman and came away with a pair of Zeiss(10x45) and Leicas on SOR for a week.

This allowed me to test them together in all conditions.Optically they are identical and so is the rangefinding. I ended up buying the Geovids 10x42 HD's as they were more ergonomic, and less bulky. It was 1.5K very well spent.

After 2+yrs of hard use they have been faultless and I wonder how I managed without them.

I know the Sportsman can be difficult but the customer service I received was excellent. They were happy to let me have the 2 pairs, and return one, just put it on my credit card and refunded it.

I have lots of pics of both models if you want to see them.

Apparently the new Swrvis are almost unobtainable and are currently on back order (last Friday).

ATB

B

Quote Originally Posted by Fowler View Post
    Ive been through the same dilemma recently. I tried both at the weekend and before I got to the shop I thought the Zeiss would be the ones for me, but I didn't like the way they felt in my hands. The Zeiss felt bulky and didn't come up to my face as well if that makes sense. The Leicas felt great and ended up with the 10x42 Geovids and love them.
    When your spending that kind of money the top 3 Euro makes have superb optics, I can't tell the difference, so it comes down to how they feel to you.
    I was surprised that the Swaros only offer 2 years warranty on electronics on their range finders!
    i couldent of summed it up better thats exactly what i did and ended up with the same as you fowler regards pete .