Leica & Zeiss

Munty Hunter

I hope this type of question has not been shredded before.
I am considering new binos and am torn between Leica and Zeiss both with built in RF. I am also mulling over the difference between mags etc, 8x42, 10x42, 8x56 or 10x56.
I currently use a 7x50 scope so sticking to the lower mag may fit that better??
The majority of my stalking is lowland woodland based, please can I have your advise and opinions,
thanks.

Ive been through the same dilemma recently. I tried both at the weekend and before I got to the shop I thought the Zeiss would be the ones for me, but I didn't like the way they felt in my hands. The Zeiss felt bulky and didn't come up to my face as well if that makes sense. The Leicas felt great and ended up with the 10x42 Geovids and love them.:D
When your spending that kind of money the top 3 Euro makes have superb optics, I can't tell the difference, so it comes down to how they feel to you.
I was surprised that the Swaros only offer 2 years warranty on electronics on their range finders!

I also tried the leica and zeiss but also thought the zeiss felt bulky in my hands.
I bought the 8x42 leicas and am very happy with them.
I also thought the 56 objective leicas would be to big and bulky for my needs.

I've been using the leica 8x42 for years, no problems. havent tried the zeiss ones. Tried using swaros binos(cause I think the glass is better) and separate rangefinders but lost some chances because of the time it takes to put binos down and get rf out of pocket

My zeiss must be 30 years old,however they did pick up some condensation.
Gave zeiss a call, they told me to put them in the post for them.
Came back good as new free of charge.
Excellent service.

Friend of mine has the Leica. We compared them with my bushnell 7x36 yardage pro and found the Leica to have a wider field of view and have better ergonomics in that they dont feel as bulky as the Bushnells. Other than that the range finding was the same and other than the wider field of view they were optically similar. I cant afford the leica's and I'm happy with the bushnells as they are substantially cheaper than the Leica's.

I have not tried either range finder model, but this might help:
Zeiss 8x56 T* RF review http://www.allbinos.com/205-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_8x56_T*_RF.html
Leica 8x56 HD-M Geovid review http://www.allbinos.com/206-binoculars_review-Leica_Geovid_8x56_HD-M.html

Looking at the light transmission curves, quite a bit of optical performance is sacrificed by sticking the range finder inside the binocular - compare the Victory FL/Victory RF or Ultravid HD/Geovid HD light transmission curves on that website. It is just my opinion, but if I am paying that much for a top-end binocular, I don't want to handicap its performance when I could carry a small separate rangefinder in my pocket. To my mind it is the same argument as spending money on a riflescope or binocular - you use the binocular far more than the time spent either aiming or ranging.

As for magnification, 8x generally offers a wider field of view, but low light performance in terms of the detail you can see is better with 10x (compare the twighlight factors in the specs), simply because the image is larger and closer to your eye. In my opinion the 10x42 format does not provide the same 'ease of use' as the 8x42 or 10x50/56 because the ext pupil is comparatively small.

I had the same dilemma a couple of years ago, I ended up going down to the Sportsman and came away with a pair of Zeiss(10x45) and Leicas on SOR for a week.

This allowed me to test them together in all conditions.Optically they are identical and so is the rangefinding. I ended up buying the Geovids 10x42 HD's as they were more ergonomic, and less bulky. It was £1.5K very well spent.

After 2+yrs of hard use they have been faultless and I wonder how I managed without them.

I know the Sportsman can be difficult but the customer service I received was excellent. They were happy to let me have the 2 pairs, and return one, just put it on my credit card and refunded it.

I have lots of pics of both models if you want to see them.

Apparently the new Swrvis are almost unobtainable and are currently on back order (last Friday).

ATB

B

Ive been through the same dilemma recently. I tried both at the weekend and before I got to the shop I thought the Zeiss would be the ones for me, but I didn't like the way they felt in my hands. The Zeiss felt bulky and didn't come up to my face as well if that makes sense. The Leicas felt great and ended up with the 10x42 Geovids and love them.:D
When your spending that kind of money the top 3 Euro makes have superb optics, I can't tell the difference, so it comes down to how they feel to you.
I was surprised that the Swaros only offer 2 years warranty on electronics on their range finders!

i couldent of summed it up better thats exactly what i did and ended up with the same as you fowler regards pete .

Thanks for your views everyone, the Leica are definitely more popular. Don't seem to hear much about their customer service, is this because they never go wrong?
Just magnification to decide on then.

Last edited:
Swaro 10 x 42 I find are perfect for me, glass is phenomenal, don't do range finding bits, as not sure on the guarantees etc, would the RF side invalidate the Binos ? after 2 years

I have the Zeiss 8x45 RF, I tried them against several others at an open evening showing night vision held at GGC, they where the brightest I tried.

Swaro 10 x 42 I find are perfect for me, glass is phenomenal, don't do range finding bits, as not sure on the guarantees etc, would the RF side invalidate the Binos ? after 2 years

The email I got from Swarovski states '10 years on the binoculars and 2 years on the electronics from the date of purchase'

The Leica 8x42 RF's get my vote :thumb: I also think your right Munty Stalker to stick with the lower mag as it will

be almost the same sight picture.

I do beleive the Zeiss on the other hand give you the choice of 1 of 6 ballistic programs

(depending on your ammo) when set this will give's you a hold over. Which is ok if your a lone ranger ! :doh: oops

ment to say Long Ranger. (Not for me) I also think there a bit on the bulky side.

Rgds, Buck.

Zeiss 8 x 45. Have used both and prefer the Zeiss. I think 8x would suit you better, it does me, but probably better for woodland. I dont think any of the top brands are as well made as they used to be and the warranty terms have changed because I believe some EU or German law requires them to hold an inventory of parts to be able to state a guarantee period. I think Leica changed their terms in particular. I have found Swarovski binos often have to call on their warranty the others less so. But, as said above, probably down to ergonomics at this price level.

I have recently bought the Zeiss 10x45 RF.

I was using a Zeiss 8X26 T but I wanted to combine the binos with the RF.

I looked at all the options on line, but I really wanted a good RF.

I read this article on LRH

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/Zeiss-Victory-RF-10x45-Rangefinder-Binocular-Review-2.php

and this bit swung it for me

“The beam divergence numbers on the Swarovski rangefinder are 2.5 x 2.5 and on the Leica Geovid they are 2.5 x 0.5. At 1.6 x 0.5, the Zeiss Victory RF 10x45 Rangefinder Binocular beam divergence numbers are the lowest I know of for a consumer level rangefinder.”

I bought mine direct from Zeiss UK and they gave me 10% off the list price and £250 for my old binos (which cost me £20 a few years ago). I went to collect them and met one of the technical designers which went over the details. Lets say I was impressed with something I already knew something about.

They were really helpful, very friendly and they even gave me a Zeiss harness FOC.

I can now see in the dark and the speed of the RF is the fastest thing I have ever seen.

I would have liked to try the Swaro equivalent just to see how they feel, as I had already used the Leica, however I am more than happy with what I bought.

Back