1967 Tiger hunt video footage

I'm wary of posting before watching the videos ("and so you should be," I hear you chorus), so I admit to not knowing whether this hunt is put in context, but the decline of the tiger was, to put it mildly, hardly a secret, even in 1967, so they had better have had a good excuse for contributing to it. Maybe they did, but if so, I think it should have been made clear by the OP from the start.

Mr. G. (who clearly got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning)

I'm wary of posting before watching the videos ("and so you should be," I hear you chorus), so I admit to not knowing whether this hunt is put in context, but the decline of the tiger was, to put it mildly, hardly a secret, even in 1967, so they had better have had a good excuse for contributing to it. Maybe they did, but if so, I think it should have been made clear by the OP from the start.

Mr. G. (who clearly got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning)

Mr G - Although I have to say I know nothing about the individual context of this hunt ..........As i'm sure you are aware just because an species is in decline it isn't necessarily a reason to stop sport hunting of that species. Taking a number of trophy's on a quota basis and giving that animal a value is a tried and tested method and has brought species like the white rhino back from the brink.

Even today i would have thought that issuing a handful of tiger tags at enormous price tags (i'm sure they would sell even at $1m and probably two or three times that) would benefit the species hugely if the money was ploughed back into effective anti poaching.

Last edited:
Some of the Tiger reserves in India are old hunting preserves and Tiger numbers were maintained at a healthy level, with poaching in a small way. However since those days the major cause of the Tigers decline is through poaching on a big scale for the Chinese market. This over recent years has exploded, one only has to look at the demand for Rhino horn and ivory to see that.
You also have a large and ever growing human population in many areas Tigers are still found, and certainly conflict with land being consumed, over grazing by domestic stock, and the ever increasing demand by China for Tiger products for medicinal purposes. This all adds up to a great deal of pressure on a dwindling population, which to my mind has not been caused by well maintained hunting in the past.

Back