Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22-250 users

.22-250 users

I have just bought a lovely Tikka 595 Stainless synthetic in .22-250 which I have fallen in love with! I cant shoot it until Sunday which is quite frustrating as I have no time off until then with work and im picking up on Saturday!
    Anyway, what range would you guys zero it at? Im thinking half inch high at 100 yards? Ive bought a box of Federal 55grain soft points and a box of Norma 50grain Vmax Hornaday. I will be using the rifle mainly as a foxer but also for thinning out the muntjac if they present themselves. I know you should always use soft point/expandable ammo for shooting deer, but if I had vmax in the breech then it is going to be very difficult to unbolt and change the round for a soft point bullet without spooking the deer. Has anyone ever been in this situation or shot a Munty with a ballistic bullet? Otherwise im thinking just to use 55g soft points all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 12borejimbo View Post
    I know you should always use soft point/expandable ammo for shooting deer, but if I had vmax in the breech then it is going to be very difficult to unbolt and change the round for a soft point bullet without spooking the deer. Has anyone ever been in this situation or shot a Munty with a ballistic bullet? Otherwise im thinking just to use 55g soft points all the time
    You've answered your own question there I think?

Don't forget that not all ballistic, (or polymer), tip bullets are the same. Hunting BTs will be more suitable for deer than varmint and super explosive, (VX & SX) types.

Your call all the same.

I use my .22-250 almost constantly for deer, fox, long range crows and rabbits. 55gr soft point does the lot. As for zeroing I have mine at 1" high at 100yds and is good out to 200yds on deer without change to POA.

I feed mine 52gr A Max. Two centimetre clicks high at 100 yards has me bang on a 200 yards. I would not use this or any other 50-55gr BT/V-max bullet on deer.

It should be possible to have a mildish 55gr SP type load that shoots to the same POI as the polymer tipped bullet. I would use the SP whenever I thought I might bump into a deer, but I would want to use the BT at night lamping just for a little extra margin of safety.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    55gr soft point does the lot. As for zeroing I have mine at 1" high at 100yds
    Exactly this. 55gr soft point for everything. I guarantee that no fox will know the difference.

I'd go 1" high at 100yds. Less, I'd suggest, is a waste of point-blank range: but each to their own!

My Sako 75 shoots extremely well with the Norma 50gr plastic-pointed ones, which I use for foxes.

I've never shot deer with it, but in case there might be a need to, I tried some ordinary (i.e. less explosive) soft-points amd found that the Sako 50gr was nearly as accurate.

It hates anything I've tried over 50gr, groups opening up from more-or-less touching to 2" at 100yds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I use my .22-250 almost constantly for deer, fox, long range crows and rabbits. 55gr soft point does the lot. As for zeroing I have mine at 1" high at 100yds and is good out to 200yds on deer without change to POA.
    not to challenge anything, but is 55g not a touch light for roe? I use 87g in the .243 and struggle to see a smaller bullet putting a deer down as effectively - I'm probably wrong, just surprised.

Mine is 1" high at 100yards and exclusively fed Sierra 1360 55gr SP's which are excellent on Muntjac, CWD, Fox, Hares, Rabbits, Crows, Magpies etc - provided you are not looking to eat the rabbits!

Backed up with Varget, N140 or H380 (listed in preference) it is point and shoot out to silly distances.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    is 55g not a touch light for roe?
    Not in my experience. Hits very hard and puts them down extremely well. It would be my round of choice if roe were all I was stalking.

Cracking rifle, cracking round..Enjoy