Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Weather

Winter Weather

I can't believe my own eyes but on Sunday lunchtime I saw a Peacock butterfly flying in Yate Town Center. A farming friend has had several queen wasps in his house. My Snowdrops have been out for 2 weeks, pigeon are building in the back conifers and so are the Starlings in my roof space. Pigeon have been calling/display flights for nearly 6 weeks,lawn is still growing and the last green/yellow leaves came off my plum tree last week. My honesuckle is coming onto leaf and lots of tree buds are swelling.

When is winter going to start?

D

I had a large ladybird in the garden today (now don't be rude).

The temperture at the moment is 14c in this part of Kent. Just before Christmas both Robin and myself were in Dorset putting up another high seat. The temperature on the truck dashboard 18C and we also had Peacock and Red Admiral butterflies flying about us.

It really has been a very warm winter and this has made stalking more difficult, in fact it has been the hardest winter I have known for a few years. The deer are just not showing like they should be, in particular the Fallow and Sika. The night times have been so warm you could be out in a T shirt. Frost has almost been non existant, with only one or two mornings that have been below freezing.

All together a strange season so far in my opinion.

I believe that Samuel Pepys, who I think also recorded the frost fairs on the frozen Thames, reported on a January that was so mild all the flowers including the roses were in bloom and it was also so dry that he was much bothered by the dust put up by passing carts.

Weather, and lots of it, is far from unusual in a country such as ours.

We only have ourselves to blaim - lots of people up here have invested in 4x4s, snow shovels, winter tyres, chains, thermal underwear, new skis etc etc. And the snow has n't bloody well arrived.

I much prefer proper winters than this rainy / windy s...............e we haev had so far.

+ 1 on that Patrick if it gets any wetter I might try a dry fly for the hinds

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    We only have ourselves to blaim - lots of people up here have invested in 4x4s, snow shovels, winter tyres, chains, thermal underwear, new skis etc etc. And the snow has n't bloody well arrived.

I much prefer proper winters than this rainy / windy s...............e we haev had so far.
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    + 1 on that Patrick if it gets any wetter I might try a dry fly for the hinds

John
    And please do describe if you use an upstream or downstream presentation and what dry fly you will be using. Another dram may be in order.

Advance warning - I am stalking hinds on Friday so expect sh...te weather even though forecast is looking good.

I was in Yate shopping center at the wk end and all i seen was loads of peeps wearing shell bottoms and track suits .

And according to the weather people we were in for another bad one!
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I'm one of those to blame, put the AT tyres on my 4x4 too early, still if I take em off we will freeze solid.