Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe Quads??!!

Roe Quads??!!

We get a lot of Roe triplets around here, many of which all survive. This got me thinking! Has anyone come across Roe Quads yet? I'm sure it must have happened somewhere?
    MS

no but i seen 1 on a honda 50

I've never seen or heard of 4 young in roe MS. I don't know East Anglia but in the areas I have managed: Hants/Wilts, Scotland and NW England triplets are very rare.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Never seen quads in England or Scotland, have seen Triplets on JRoe's ground, just last month.

As twins are common with Roe, I wonder what the ratio is between a single/twin/trio birth rate is?

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Roe triplets are fairly common in Southern Sweden.
    Many years ago I shot a Red hind on the Cumbrian mountains which had twin foetus inside it, I have a picture somewhere if I can find it.
    It was the start of a lifetime friendship with the late Lea Macnally of Torridon as he too had bred twins from one of his semi-tame Reds there.

HWH.

Twin foetus from the old Red hind.
    HWH.

i would like to ask a question ,i have a set of triplets on my small ground and when i first took on this ground im sure the older doe had a set then as well now on to my question would this be in the genes to keep having triplets or does something set this off like an abundance of food or other factors sorry for the highjack ,atb wayne

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    i would like to ask a question ,i have a set of triplets on my small ground and when i first took on this ground im sure the older doe had a set then as well now on to my question would this be in the genes to keep having triplets or does something set this off like an abundance of food or other factors sorry for the highjack ,atb wayne
    Probably a bit of both I reckon mate. A doe will have to achieve a good threshold body weight to even have twins, but to repeat it yearly and pass to future generations must be partly genetic too I think. We get a lot around here, and the does are by no means abnormally large. I'm just waiting for a set of Muntjac twins!!!!!
    MS

MS

I have shot a roe doe with quads, locally to me.

JT

I was up in Galloway in October last year and saw four fawns on the road into permission in the dark in the morning. Same on the way out that night after dark. They were together again as a group the following morning.All this in headlights and no sign of an adult.Stan