Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire Grey Squirrel Shooting

Rimfire Grey Squirrel Shooting

Following a thread on another part of the forum I just want to say that one of my favourite passtimes is to hunt and kill Grey Squirrels. I am of the age where I can remember the tail bounty. If the bounty scheme was re-intoduced we may see un upsurge in the sport. A keeper i was with tonight had shot 138 in the last year out of a 20 acre wood, which was half the number from the previous year.

I always attended the annual squirrel cul at a shoot that my X brother in law ran. Some great sport but that was with shotgun rather than rimfire. Usual destroy the drey with a long pole and shoot them as they jump from tree to tree. Every year on that day we would shoot between 80 and 90 of the blighters.

I learnt to rifle shoot on greys, me and a 10/22 ruger, the most I got was 98 in month, all recycled into the pigs that lived in the wood!!! Never got my hundred, good clean fun

I and a mate used to shoot hundreds on an estate in Shropshire in our Twenties.Really is a two man job. I even went to the effort of making an 80ft set of lofting poles which we used to push out dreys and carrion and magpie nests. I have a Cosine indicator fitted to my .177 FAC Daystate, very usefull when shooting greys out of the very tops of oaks and pines.

I can still remember one day finding a big number of greys eating beech buds on an isolated beech in a big bit of parkland. My mate was on one side with his Sharp Ace and I was on the other with a HW77k, we eventually shot the lot, as they couldn't escape.

Certainly honed our shooting skills.

D

Rimfire shot gunning grey squirrels...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

If God exists you'll find him tending a 50 acre squirrel wood.

K

if anyone finds themselves with a load of grey squirrels they need to dispose of, shot, trapped or otherwise.
    ​Please let me know!

You wouldn't have wanted the one I nailed with my 22 Hornet on Sunday morning! K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    You wouldn't have wanted the one I nailed with my 22 Hornet on Sunday morning! K

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    if anyone finds themselves with a load of grey squirrels they need to dispose of, shot, trapped or otherwise.
    ​Please let me know!
    I've run out! Only seen 4 all year in the garden, and they've been nailed immediately
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)