Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to buy from USA?

What to buy from USA?

My brother is in the states at the moment offering to grab some optics for me.

I was going to go for a S&B hungarian 8x56 scope and had budgeted about 600 for binos. Is it better to try and source in the states?
    He mentioned duty rates as you come back to the uk....... any ideas what rate?

Ta,

Dave

german optics in the usa are very expensive, but Leupold are cheap, just bring it back in suit case????
    Some of the clothing is a bargain as is bipods and slings ect.
    l brought loads of kit back a while ago with no problems at all.

Scope

If you are after a scope in the USA I agree with 1-shot, only things manufactured in the US are cheaper. Zeiss Conquest scopes are assembled in the USA to get around this. (similar to S&B Hungarian) German they aint, but must be better than a Loopy.

high end bushnell elites were made by Nikon in the past and very good quality.

Make sure you get a load of buck knives and Leathermans for ebay on your return.

Enjoy

I think the best optic buy is the Nikon scopes they are selling at the Wal Mart stores. A 4-12X is less then $200 US and they are a very clear scope. ~Muir

Put optics in your hand luggage when you fly back. Less changes in pressure & temperature!

SD Regular
    Maybe, if they use a transformer that you can get converted in the UK, electronic scales? I'd stay well clear of 'scopes as you may get clobbered for duty!

I'd look at things that are cheap in the USA but cost the earth here. Secondhand reloading dies, electronic bore sighter tools, that sort of thing. 'Scope mounting rings, rifles stocks, etc.

USA

I forgot to add that if you bring something back take it out of all original packaging (which can be sent by post if required)

This way there is no way they can say it is new when you tell them your mate gave it to you.

therefore no customs charge.

binos are cheap over there as well. Bushnell Elite or Loopy cascades I got for 2 mates @ less then $200 each in 2006.

Buck Zipper for $24 (70) here and Leatherman @ $29

Canny go wrong[/i]

Or get them to post it to you marked as a gift, which as far as i know will avoid import duty. (check this first!)

I've heard stories of people sticking a birthday card in with expensive items for good measure to make it extra convincing incase customs have a peak. (this may be an old wives tale though making me look like a silly old wife!)

Gez

I just came back from the states yesterday.
    Talk or e-mail to scott at Liberty optics.
    http://www.libertyoptics.com/

The conquest range are good scopes for money. The nikon monarchs also have a good reputation.

edi

Re: Scope

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldan
    If you are after a scope in the USA I agree with 1-shot, only things manufactured in the US are cheaper. Zeiss Conquest scopes are assembled in the USA to get around this. (similar to S&B Hungarian) German they aint, but must be better than a Loopy.

high end bushnell elites were made by Nikon in the past and very good quality.

Make sure you get a load of buck knives and Leathermans for ebay on your return.

Enjoy
    I got a zeiss conquest for a m8 of mine when I was in the states last year and he loves it. I asked the guy what he recomended the leopould at the same price as the zeiss and he said no contest the zeiss every time.

dave