Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mentor Needed

Mentor Needed

Hi everyoneI'm trying to get into stalking and talked to my FEO about putting a variation in for a deer rifle.He said that I would need a mentor, who would supervise me till such point that they felt I was deemed compitent to stalk alone. I don't know any stalkers in my area.I'm more than happy to start as the appretice and brew bitch in order to learn. I have been pest control shooting with air rifles and rimfires for years. I've been in the RAF for 22 years and am compitent in handeling centre fire rifles upto 7.62 NATO.I have permission on land with deer and cleared for .308, and permission to take deer if I wish. I haven't seen much evidence of them though (I'm probably not there at the right times).Can anyone advise me of the way forward with this?

As you say you have to learn when the deer are about and I feel that possibly you may now be spending the time on the ground to find this out. I learnt this myself the fard way but in the end putting the time in paid off. Gettign or making a couple of lean too or self standing high seats is an excellent way to learn what is about. It might take you a few attempts when learnign where to site them but then again that is not lost either as you will be learning more and more all the time.

There are those on this site who are very good at this, I am not one of them , but the seat can be used for soem of your vermin work there and you can learn and observe the deer track/trails and hopefully their movements too.

Keep an eye out for deer signs like fraying. Oh and good luck and have fun watching the other wildlife.

In the past I found sign of them, in the way of hair caught on fences and the occasional foot print. The land is very open so probably not their favorite place to hang out.My main problem is mentoring. I would like to get started in stalking but don't have the money to pay for many guided stalks. Idealy I would like to accompany a stalker (not as shooter) out on the groundand learn the craft and pay for stalks as and when I can afford it.

While it is certainly a good idea to find yourself someone from whom to learn about stalking, it might be worth discussing with the FEO the purpose of an 'mentoring condition' for someone who has used a rimfire safely in the field for years. It is not an uncommon view that safe use of a rimfire is the same as safe use of a centrefire, quite apart from your previous service experience with CF rifles.

The responsibility of the Police is public safety, not stalking competance. In your position, I'd be inclined to reassure them of your record of safe handling of firearms in the field and let them know you will be looking for someone to gain stalking experience with; but that a 'mentoring condition' in neither neccessary nor useful in this case. Nor sanctioned in the HO Guidance, of course: as it says at 13.30, applicants should generally have expereince of firearms - which it seems you have.

Up to you haow to proceed, of course. It might be felt I am suggesting an imprudent degree of assertiveness in dealings with the FLD; yet in my personal experience an informed, articulate, polite and assertive response to suggested restrictions has actually improved my relationship with the Department.

i would spend as much time as possible on your ground looking for signs sitting and glassing for deer you dont need a rifle to find out whats about i found on my piece of ground deer are mostly like clockwork they go to certain areas at different times of the day/night i say mostly because at times they do dissapear into thin air even while watching them i have had my ground nearly two years and its only small so have managed to see where they like at different times of the year. on the mentor front maybe do a few paid outings to learn from a guide this knowledge will bring you on far faster than being on your own or till you can find someone to help out atb wayne.just to add then with your background you could get a letter from a guide saying they have witnessed how safe you are and not have the mentor clause imposed
    Last edited by mereside; 12-01-2012 at 09:50.

I suppose that I can submit the paperwork and take up any issues with the FEO on his visit. I have been out stalking with my farther in law and the wife's uncle, but that was in Poland and it would be hard for them to mentor me from Poland , more so because they don't speak English.

Im with Dalua on this one, if you have plenty of experience with CF rifles then a mentor seems a little pointless. I do think its a good idea to get some experience with another stalker before venturing out after deer on your own land but maybe if you spoke to your FEO and said that you have X years of using CF rifles and has the relevent training and WHTs etc and say that your willing to do a DSC1 opposed to having a mentor, then this may be the cheaper way to do it and the DSC1 is a great learning tool at any rate.

If you have land which your allowed to stalk deer on then im sure you wont struggle to find someone on here to take you out on your own ground, even if you dont have any intention of shooting a deer..

ATB,

FF

I would like to do the DSC 1 as one thing that I do know is that I know very little about stalking. I know that I can do the easy bit, taking the shot. It's everything else that I need to learn.I know what I'm looking for on the ground when it comes to finding deer, not that I've seen much sign of them on the land I have.

I found that actually getting into stalking was difficult so had to go the paid outing route. Living at that time in Surrey and not having a job that brought me into contact with the right people and the farms etc were all tied up around our area. Lots of it under lease to big stalking and shooting concerns once I started paying for outings I was able to stalk quite locally. I tried to do one outing every two months at least.

I too had been shooting for years by then when I suggested to the FEO that they put my 303 sporting rifle on for Deer the answer was:-

"big intake of breathe"no that too powerful as it's a military calibre!
    So I asked about .308 and the answer was "well I cannot see any real problems with that" even though it meant a variation.. I also told him I had been offered a nice 7.7mm :-

Hmm never heard of that one
    He had been looking at boxes of FNM 303 ammunition a bit earlier and it's also clearly marked 7.7x56R .

Sadly in a case like yours, and mine back then, you dealing with ignorance and the plain because I say it's so and I am the expert attitude. Getting some advice on how to word things from you shooting body will be a good idea and useful most likely providing their minds are at least open a bit to proper information. Sadly not all of them are and you will ahve to feel your way on that score.

As to the ground it sounds like you may have deer highways across you ground which once to suss out when they are using them can be productive .

[QUOTE=Brithunter;308152]I found that actually getting into stalking was difficult so had to go the paid outing route. Living at that time in Surrey and not having a job that brought me into contact with the right people and the farms etc were all tied up around our area. Lots of it under lease to big stalking and shooting concerns once I started paying for outings I was able to stalk quite locally. I tried to do one outing every two months at least.I too had been shooting for years by then when I suggested to the FEO that they put my 303 sporting rifle on for Deer the answer was:- So I asked about .308 and the answer was "well I cannot see any real problems with that" even though it meant a variation.. I also told him I had been offered a nice 7.7mm :- He had been looking at boxes of FNM 303 ammunition a bit earlier and it's also clearly marked 7.7x56R .QUOTE]Well it goes to show that some police forces appoint administrators to FEO positions rather than subject matter experts.