Thread: Something to get the blood boiling

Something to get the blood boiling

I was looking for police guidance on assessing land (don't suppose anyone has any info about that) and came across THIS LITTLE GEM.

What a twisted, emotive load of old bull!

Couldn't resist sharing it (and there IS some useful advice in there about the tactics anti's might use. Forewarned is fore armed after all)

Well if that isn't a crock.

I found it quite interesting some good info on game seasons Very nice of em to give that out..

LOL

atb

I have to say we have been mercifully free of anti's this year on the shoot - I was getting the general impression from folks I have spoken too that they are declining in number, anyone had any experiences to the contrary this year?

Seems to be poachers that are more of a problem these days?

Quote Originally Posted by adjman View Post
    I have to say we have been mercifully free of anti's this year on the shoot - I was getting the general impression from folks I have spoken too that they are declining in number, anyone had any experiences to the contrary this year?

Seems to be poachers that are more of a problem these days?
    +1 With adjman even had a poacher come down the Trent on Saturday night in a row boat
    with lurcher on board with the river nearly in flood, he saw me and tuned the boat around
    slowly went upstream and decided to poach the next farm up river, he stayed in the boat
    while the dog ran ammok

Are farmers still (if they ever were) allowed to shoot dogs that molset their livestock?

Yes they are but the shooting has to be reported to the police within a set time
    frame , you can also sue the owners of the dog after a p.m e.t.c for the damage
    to the live stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie_3 View Post
    Are farmers still (if they ever were) allowed to shoot dogs that molset their livestock?
    I've just this minute come down of the mountain with one of my ewes alive but in shreds. 3 dogs were on it! My neighbour saw it and 'phoned, and while he was on the 'phone the folk managed to catch their dogs and just left! *******s. No sign of them by the time I got there with a gun, but no questioning what would have happened if I'd got there on time. Perfectly legal.
    Gone dark now, so I just keeping my fingers crossed that there's none other badly injured - I won't find it now 'til the morning, if at all.

Last time it happened at least the people involved had the decency to contact me and pay all vets bills.

I'm bloody fuming! Why the hell do people keep dogs anyway, unless they actually need them for work?

Yes Geordie, it is still legal to shoot dogs if they are harassing livestock. It's in "The Animal Act 1971" as a defence against civil proceedings for killing or injuring a dog found worrying sheep.

9Killing of or injury to dogs worrying livestock.

(1)
    In any civil proceedings against a person (in this section referred to as the defendant) for killing or causing injury to a dog it shall be a defence to prove—

(a)
    that the defendant acted for the protection of any livestock and was a person entitled to act for the protection of that livestock; and

(b)
    that within forty-eight hours of the killing or injury notice thereof was given by the defendant to the officer in charge of a police station.

(2)
    For the purposes of this section a person is entitled to act for the protection of any livestock if, and only if—

(a)
    the livestock or the land on which it is belongs to him or to any person under whose express or implied authority he is acting; and

(b)
    the circumstances are not such that liability for killing or causing injury to the livestock would be excluded by section 5(4) of this Act.

(3)
    Subject to subsection (4) of this section, a person killing or causing injury to a dog shall be deemed for the purposes of this section to act for the protection of any livestock if, and only if, either—

(a)
    the dog is worrying or is about to worry the livestock and there are no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or

(b)
    the dog has been worrying livestock, has not left the vicinity and is not under the control of any person and there are no practicable means of ascertaining to whom it belongs.

(4)
    For the purposes of this section the condition stated in either of the paragraphs of the preceding subsection shall be deemed to have been satisfied if the defendant believed that it was satisfied and had reasonable ground for that belief.

(5)
    For the purposes of this section—

(a)
    an animal belongs to any person if he owns it or has it in his possession; and

(b)

land belongs to any person if he is the occupier thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    I was looking for police guidance on assessing land (don't suppose anyone has any info about that) and came across THIS LITTLE GEM.
    Thankyou for this. It gave me quite a lot of information I didn't know.

It would be useful to see a similar publication that refutes this wholly or in parts. Is there such a thing?

If any of the statistics or facts quoted are wrong, then any corrections & contributions would be useful.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.