Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: big cat just maybe

probably poachers leaving parts behind that foxes and crows have been picking at...mind you there was a deer find near me that had clear 'claw' marks in it from a big cat, 1000% a cat, but whether it took the deer before or after it was dead you'll never know

I am still very doubtfull on this subject , personally i think someone would have come across some undeniable evidence by now if these bigs cats were around......but never say never eh!

They're around mate, I reported a cat paw print two years ago in the borders, it was the size of say a 14 year olds hand. Very clear on a sandbed where it had been roaming for spent salmon at the end of the spawning season. Unless someone was trying to pull a fast one (which they would not do in such a remote location), I am in no doubt.

I am very sceptical on the whole big cat subject - I'd have to see one myself before I believed any reports.

on the 6 pm point west news there was a guy with plaster casts of the pad prints, also appears the roe was still warm when it was found in the field by a dog walker. Lets see what the DNA shows.

D

Assuming no-one was in any danger and these cats were roaming free in the countryside, would they have to be specidfied on your licence before you shot one? I wonder what the FLO would make of your variation request

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgy View Post
    Assuming no-one was in any danger and these cats were roaming free in the countryside, would they have to be specidfied on your licence before you shot one? I wonder what the FLO would make of your variation request
    Depending on the wording of your FAC and your reasons for shooting one, would depend on the outcome.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

If they are indeed around, it is such a rare last unique wild species that most surely should not only be protected from a legal perspective, but also by the mere interest of even farmers and stalkers. I'd almost hope the application to have such species included on the FAC would make the FLO consider revoking it on the grounds of not respecting protected (or what should be) wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    They're around mate, I reported a cat paw print two years ago in the borders, it was the size of say a 14 year olds hand. Very clear on a sandbed where it had been roaming for spent salmon at the end of the spawning season. Unless someone was trying to pull a fast one (which they would not do in such a remote location), I am in no doubt.
    I've seen leopard 4 times here in Essex/Herts and once in Somerset. They are out there for sure but their territories are going to be massive so unless they have cubs and are confined to a den somewhere for a few weeks you'll never pin them down. The last one I saw was 19/02/07.