Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling and ultrasonic cleaning

Tumbling and ultrasonic cleaning

Hi folks,

i have recently taken up reloading for my 243 and have hundereds of once fired cases was just wondering should ultrasonic cleaning and tumbling be done before or after re-sizing? Or does it even need to be done at all?

Cheers

de prime clean resize job done
    atb venison 16

Ally. Deprime, clean primer pocket, ultrasonic clean. resize and trim, ultrasonic clean. Regards JCS

I decap, us clean, trim, size and load. Usually find primer pockets spotless after us bath.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. The only thing i dont understand is, my lee resizing die pops the spent primer out, do i need to buy a seperate decapping die or am i ok to run the case through the die that i already have twice? Once to decap before cleaning and once to resize again after cleaning?

Cheers ally

Quote Originally Posted by ALLY View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. The only thing i dont understand is, my lee resizing die pops the spent primer out, do i need to buy a seperate decapping die or am i ok to run the case through the die that i already have twice? Once to decap before cleaning and once to resize again after cleaning? Cheers ally
    Ally. I use a decapping die. I use a 3 phase approach.

1. Clean necks, decap and ultrasonic clean. I tend to accumulate a box of 50 fired cases and then process it.
    2. Resize, trim and ultrasonic clean.
    3. Load.

It can be days, weeks or months between each phase. The main thing to keep in mind is to follow the same steps each time (and write them down). You will develop your view on the steps that are best for you and your kit.

Good luck. JCS

Quote Originally Posted by ALLY View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. The only thing i dont understand is, my lee resizing die pops the spent primer out, do i need to buy a seperate decapping die or am i ok to run the case through the die that i already have twice? Once to decap before cleaning and once to resize again after cleaning?

Cheers ally
    Ally ,my process is tumble clean, decap/necksize,clean primer pocket ,trim where required and have never had any problems.

+1 to hw100sniper. I don't decap before cleaning and only use a tumbler - no problems so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I decap, us clean, trim, size and load. Usually find primer pockets spotless after us bath.
    +1.

I use a universal decapping die as it keeps all the powder residue and crud out of my sizing die.

I decap & resize then into UC . Works fine for me