Tumbling and ultrasonic cleaning

ALLY

Hi folks,

i have recently taken up reloading for my 243 and have hundereds of once fired cases was just wondering should ultrasonic cleaning and tumbling be done before or after re-sizing? Or does it even need to be done at all?

Cheers

I decap, us clean, trim, size and load. Usually find primer pockets spotless after us bath.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. The only thing i dont understand is, my lee resizing die pops the spent primer out, do i need to buy a seperate decapping die or am i ok to run the case through the die that i already have twice? Once to decap before cleaning and once to resize again after cleaning?

Cheers ally

Thanks for the quick replies guys. The only thing i dont understand is, my lee resizing die pops the spent primer out, do i need to buy a seperate decapping die or am i ok to run the case through the die that i already have twice? Once to decap before cleaning and once to resize again after cleaning? Cheers ally

Ally. I use a decapping die. I use a 3 phase approach.

1. Clean necks, decap and ultrasonic clean. I tend to accumulate a box of 50 fired cases and then process it.
2. Resize, trim and ultrasonic clean.
3. Load.

It can be days, weeks or months between each phase. The main thing to keep in mind is to follow the same steps each time (and write them down). You will develop your view on the steps that are best for you and your kit.

Good luck. JCS

Thanks for the quick replies guys. The only thing i dont understand is, my lee resizing die pops the spent primer out, do i need to buy a seperate decapping die or am i ok to run the case through the die that i already have twice? Once to decap before cleaning and once to resize again after cleaning?

Cheers ally

Ally ,my process is tumble clean, decap/necksize,clean primer pocket ,trim where required and have never had any problems.:thumb:

Hi there. Top tip when tumbling, keep primers in keeps media out of flash hole. I have ordered corn cob from pet shop in Perth at 15 quid for 10 Kg, much cheaper than Lyman brand. Shop has branches in Dundee and Kirkcaldy.I have washed and re used corn cob in past. Tight Yorkshireman, every penny is a prisoners. If anyone can advise on price of ultra cleaner, price of fluid and how long it lasts I would be interested to know. Could use that to clean and tumbler to polish, thus corn cob would last longer.

Cleaning I, not essential but it shows a bit of pride, will ensure internal capacity is more uniform and satisfies the OCD enjoyed by most re loaders.... Lol

If anyone can advise on price of ultra cleaner, price of fluid and how long it lasts I would be interested to know.

US cleaners can be got for as little as £20 up to a high spec one at £100+. I have one of each.

Cleaning solution is water with a half teaspoon of citric acid (bought off the bay for very little), wash then rinse in clean water and dry in the oven.

Very good article here..

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

HTH

This is the ultrasonic cleaner I bought Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner 8050-H : Ultrasonic Cleaners : Maplin Electronics
. I got it a while back in the sale for £80 and I'm happy with it. I am considering getting a tumbler though to polish up the cases.

Try a cycle with Birchwood Casey case cleaner after your cleaning rinse, brings them up like new in minutes.

I give them another rinse in clean water after the BC then a quick dry off with a towel then in a warm oven to dry the inside.

You can use the BC mix again and again so don't throw it away, just put it in a bottle and let it settle until you have more cases to clean, any sediment will be at the bottom of the bottle.

Try a cycle with Birchwood Casey case cleaner after your cleaning rinse, brings them up like new in minutes.

I give them another rinse in clean water after the BC then a quick dry off with a towel then in a warm oven to dry the inside.

You can use the BC mix again and again so don't throw it away, just put it in a bottle and let it settle until you have more cases to clean, any sediment will be at the bottom of the bottle.

Cheers for the info I have just ordered some case cleaner so will give it a try, I am happy with the results from the ultrasonic cleaning. I was just looking to get the brass nice & shiny again.

Last edited:
Well,

Took on board what you guys said and bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Maplins, £100 down to £70.

Popped some cleaning agent and water in it, put some once fired Federal brass in the basket and switched it on. Counter counted down from 15 minutes, to 13 minutes (on the degausing part of the cycle) there was a crackling sound, an orange flash from inside the cleaner body and a strong smell of electrical burning just before it shut down for good!

Brass is still dirty so not impressed!

I have emailed Maplins regarding a replacement cleaner. Just awaiting a returns number. They send a pre-paid sticker with the original (which arrived within 24 hours of ordering) so hopefully all will be well.

Fingers crossed for next week!

Sid

If you use a liquid ultrasonic cleaner be very careful and ensure that your cases are fully dry.

This morning I was supervising my club range and was alerted by a member of a misfire. On examination the powder had clumped in the case together and not ignited, the primer had fired but not powder. The force from the primer had pushed the bullet into the rifling where it remained. His conclusion was that he must have loaded up the round into a damp case!! He uses an ultrasonic bought from a well known electrical components retailer that requires water/acid dilution.
He could have easily re-chambered with a fresh round and proceeded to blow his rifle up!

Last edited:
Does the tumbler media not get dirty with lube then?

I considered de-priming then UltraSonic cleaning to get rid of grime and lube before polishing the clean cases in the tumbler..... Water and citric acid is cheap, media is not, though I have found corn cob media at £15 for 10Kg in Perth, Dundee and Kirkcaldy http://www.strictlyexotics.com has ordered in some Corn Cob lizard bedding for me. Lyman is £15 for 6 Kg. Will try it out with a bit of Brass dried to powder and crumbled into it. At half the price of Lyman media we will see if it is worth it......

Still awaiting Fed -Ex collecting my Maplins Ultra sonic cleaner.. Tomorrow hopefully!

I also Mr Tumble after decap/resize, wipe them down with cloth before going into tumbler and check flash holes after for stuck media, a poke thru with darning needle sorts any probs

Back