Thread: Tikka expert required

Tikka expert required

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I have a Tikka 690 L/H with poor and damaged wood. A chap on here has for sale a stock for a Tikka 595 L/H. I know the 595 is short action and the 690 is long. Also aknowledge the difference in models. The question is will the action of the 690 fot the stock of a 595? I thank you in anticipation.

best regards,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by buckup View Post

I have a Tikka 690 L/H with poor and damaged wood. A chap on here has for sale a stock for a Tikka 595 L/H. I know the 595 is short action and the 690 is long. Also aknowledge the difference in models. The question is will the action of the 690 fot the stock of a 595? I thank you in anticipation.

best regards,

Mark
    hi mark ring gmk i rung about a plastic stock, they will know
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

I think I recall someone else asking a similar question previously on this website, and the reply given was that 590 and 595 stocks are effectively the same. Therefore 690 and 695 will also be the same as will the repective left hand versions. It's worth looking back through the site to confirm this but also as biker1 says give GMK a call to check that the information is correct.

HiHave you not answered your own question 1 is long action 1 is short action, so they will be inlet differently.CheersDickie

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    HiHave you not answered your own question 1 is long action 1 is short action, so they will be inlet differently.CheersDickie
    I don't know Dickie, hence the question in the first place. I don't have anything to compare with. My Sauer stocks are the same whether it be .243 or 7x64 (long or short actioned). So long as the slot in the wood where the bolt goes when closed is in the same place I don't know that it will make a difference how far back the bolt is drawn to pick up the next round from the mag.

Sounds like a call to GMK is in order.

Cheers,
    Mark

I don't know Dickie, hence the question in the first place. I don't have anything to compare with. My Sauer stocks are the same whether it be .243 or 7x64 (long or short actioned). So long as the slot in the wood where the bolt goes when closed is in the same place I don't know that it will make a difference how far back the bolt is drawn to pick up the next round from the mag.

Sounds like a call to GMK is in order.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Sauer's are all made on a 30/06 sized action, so the 243 or 308 use a magazine with a filler to suit.

Ref the 690 action fitting in the 595 stock, not a chance. The next question is, could the inlet on a 595 action be altered to suit a 690? I just don't know, but I doubt it.

I would call a couple of the custom rifle builders. I am sure there must be any number of 690 stocks lying round where the rifle was stripped for a donor action and restocked in a McMillan.

Try Steve Kershaw, Brock and Norris and any other you might think off. Also Redmist on here is worth an email.

Edited to comment: just realised you are shooting a LH rifle, that obviously makes it much harder to pick up a SH stock, but they are still out there.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 13-01-2012 at 17:49.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

best regards,

Mark
    That's an interesting proposition, Mark. The short answer is YES but you'll need the services of a stocker unless you have the skill. Chan urrain dhomhsa.

I have an armful of these in both short and long actions. The critical bit is the location of the magazine release catch on the right hand side of the stock, but luckily it's in exactly the same location and relative position on each action.The indent slot for the M595/M695 magazines begins at the same offset, so it's possible to snap a .243 magazine into a .270 action well.... I've just tried it.

There's 12mm difference in the two action sizes. Fitting a .270 action into a .243 stock would involve extending the inletting by this amount, and cutting a slightly wider channel for the receiver ring.

Both stocks are the same length, and share the same forearm dimensions so there's plenty of wood there. Hope this helps.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

[QUOTE=Claret_Dabbler;308665]I would call a couple of the custom rifle builders. I am sure there must be any number of 690 stocks lying round where the rifle was stripped for a donor action and restocked in a McMillan.
    [QUOTE]

Tikka 260 on here did one about a year ago.

Yep, correct, Redmist put it together and did a great job: so if a 695 Right Hand wood stock in decent condition is of any help or interest- let me know.

ATB

P