which new binos?!?

paulbshooting

Hello all, I need to upgrade from my basic binos and happy to spend enough once to get some decent kit. I have read lots and decided upon either the Zeiss Victory 10x56 T FL @ £1500 ish or maybe Swarovski EL 10x50 @ £1800. I don't need an integrated range finder and the size and weight of the binos is not an issue for me.

I can't find any reviews on the Zeiss Victory so much appreciated if anyone can comment. I will also be keen to upgrade my scope too at some point so the £300 saving would be welcome towards that if I go the Zeiss route.

FYI I am woodland stalking on foot or from high seat, with first and last light performance being very key for the Sika, plus daytime use to find the Roe in the fields & hedges etc. Thanks in advance all

I've never done any woodland stalking, but using binoculars for shortish range observation might you not find 10x a bit strong?

The dawn/dusk glass favoured by the Germans I knew (albeit many years ago) was a Zeiss or Optolyth 8x56. I have an old pair of Zeiss BGA* (or something) 8x56 which I use for dawn/dusk foxy work. They seem quite good.

Swaro 8.5x42's..... excellent! I've got a pair of Zeiss Rangefinder 8x45's too and they're excellent as well, but.... compared side by side, the Zeiss lenses have a slight 'yellow' tinge to the picture. Not a problem as I don't carry both pairs with me when I'm out but it is there.

Inherited a pair of Swaro SLC8x30's and they're very good for woodland... only upgraded to the 8.5's to get the beyond last light performance when high-seating for foxes. Add a Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56 or a 6-24x72 "Hubble" and you have a lethal combination!

As Dalua says, 10 power might be a bit strong and will probably give you a narrower field of view compared to the 8's.

's me.

atb
FBW

This stuff is very personal but I don't like stalking with more than 8x mag for binos. I'm an advocate of choosing the mag then finding the optics to suit the requirements, rather than starting with the model and working backwards.

I've got a set of 10x32 el's and i find them ideal for all the shooting i do.
They are very bright and clear and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend them!

ATB
Daz

look through a pair of magnesium chassis bushnell elites and then tell me honestly, how other names can be worth 3 times the price

I use Optimic binos that im sure the guys at Scott country do and like Paul says there at least a third of the price .Ive looked through swaro and leica and compared and couldnt see any difference even at low light.Others will disagree but hey give them a try if you can.

I use Swarovski EL 10x42, the mag is, according to some, a tad high for woodland stalking but I have no issue with that and absolutely recommend the Swarovski's, great product backed up by a second to none after sales service.

I have Swaro 10x42 EL's would highly recommend them, however, I would, with hind-sight buy 8.5x42's as has been said, you get a shake and a narrower field of view. If I were you, try a set of Minox 8.5x43 BR's, I have said before on here, that I had a set while my EL's were away getting fixed. Fantastic glass, 1/3-1/4 of the price, depending where you look. I wish I had kept mine for a spare/vehicle set...

There is a couple of things I really do like about the Swaro though, they feel quality, contoured to the hands, the second is their unbeatable customer service dept.

TJ

I use Opticron BDH 10 x 42,, can be had for under 600 quid,, could not see a 1000 pound increase in performance from the swaros,, and hated the ziess,,,

Obviously from recent post I like Swarovski!

It can be very subjective, but seeing many hundreds of binos in use each year, certain things come to mind in choosing -

Between the big three - Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski its is actually pretty hard for Mr Average Eyeballs to make a basic distinction. Between the three it just seems that some peoples eyes prefer one brand over another. For me I simply see more deer with less strain with Swarovski - as noted by another poster, Zeiss just dont ring my bell - but thats personal to the user - may be great for you. Your eyes are likely different - strongly recommend trying them.

Google resolution target - these are grids used to test optical instruments. I use the one printed in J Plasters 'Ultimate Sniper' ( I know - just dont tell anyone else ). That gives you an objective measure.

In general about 8x seems easier on the eye for long use. You mention your likely usage - but not sure if thats long hours of glassing. Obviously key for you is low light performance.

I find the 56 objective bins quite bulking to lug about - but possibly not an issue for you.

The money for optics is horrendous - there's no two ways about it. However, top end brands keep their money - others very much do not - even if 'per £' their performance seems ok.

As per other thread - certainly Swarovski and I suspect Zeiss/ Leica are binos for life - in unlikely event of a problem, they fix them.

Other than a pair of Swaro's that where driven over by a 4x4 and argo trailer, mine are the first I've seen a problem with. Before the message sunk in I had Opticron, Eschenbach and Bushnell - all failed at some point. All seemed fine looking through them in a shop or at a show - but never quite measured up after hours in the field - all due respect to Paul - and his model likely much higher spec than the ones I used.

But again seeing dozens of makes, there's a simple personal test I've developed. Zeiss, Leica & Swarovski stalkers use their binos constantly - you see and sense it as you guide them along. Other makes spend more time hanging than viewing - there's a reason for that me thinks.

I've used, but dont own the 8.5x42 ELs - but I've never met an owner that didnt rave about them.

I hope you get sorted.

hi all am i missing something here, tried swaros and my barr and stroud that cost 80 quid both tried in the field at last light and i cant tel the difference between them

hi all am i missing something here, tried swaros and my barr and stroud that cost 80 quid both tried in the field at last light and i cant tel the difference between them

Must be a fault with the swarovski's then!

Moray Outfitting hit the nail on the head when he said:

Zeiss, Leica & Swarovski stalkers use their binos constantly - you see and sense it as you guide them along. Other makes spend more time hanging than viewing

Its so true, I have EL 10x42 Swarovski and they are my eyes! When I am stalking they are constantly being used, whereas friends of mine with other entry range brands just leave them hanging or leave them in the car, or forget them. I don;t think I have ever forgotten to take my bins stalking as I would miss them too much! I also agree the 56's become to big and bulky.

Last edited:
is it not the case that people think the more kit costs the better it will be, i brought a daiwa airity carbon 16 meter pole last year for match fishing total cost 3400, now i would be lying if i said it wasent a good bit of kit but after using it i found that that carbon poles in the 1000 to 1500 price range are just as good and in some cases better. Now if somebody could say the reason swaro are better than all others and have some kind of proof that they are

is it not the case that people think the more kit costs the better it will be, Now if somebody could say the reason swaro are better than all others and have some kind of proof that they are
I used to think along the same lines as you, until i looked through a pair at last light, i thought i had a good set of binos until i looked through the Swaros, same as a fly rod, it wasn't until i cast a Sage XP that i realised the difference, having said that the rods i sell are just as good as the Sage z axis, but i am going off topic now.
Cheers
Richard

Back