Thread: free ballistic software

free ballistic software

im after advice on where i can get some free ballistic software for working out bullet drop at range, any advice would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by sean12345 View Post
    im after advice on where i can get some free ballistic software for working out bullet drop at range, any advice would be good.
    you could try googling pointblank

there you go

http://huntingnut.com/index.php?name=PointBlank

It sounds like you're looking for basic features rather than something elaborate. A comprehensive package won't be freeware, and give you more than you need maybe?

I've posted a link to this Java app. on the Norma website before. It's interactive and ready to go in a snap. Just change the standard parameters by entering your own bullet data, speed, and so on. It uses the standard G1 model to change results for different conditions, so well worth a play.

http://ballistics.norma.cc/javapage_US2.asp?Lang=2
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I use GNU Balistics on my mac and find it very good, not sure if it works on PC ?
    GNU Exterior Ballistics Computer | Free Science Engineering software downloads at SourceForge.net

Neil.

I use this http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx which is sort of hope is good, because I use it a lot!

all these ballistics are good reading if you like that sort of thing,cant say any of them matched my bullets drops,always best to put up some targets and find out yourself,its best way to find out for sure,i just use ballistic tables as a guide

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Strelok is pretty good, free and gives loads of details, reticule selection etc.....

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    all these ballistics are good reading if you like that sort of thing,cant say any of them matched my bullets drops,always best to put up some targets and find out yourself,its best way to find out for sure,i just use ballistic tables as a guide
    Like the above I never found any to be reliable, but I found that it is due to small differences in fps.

In the absence of a chrono I set up targets at 100 to 300 yds, or further if I can, then tune the fps of the program so that the curve matches what I actually get.
    Employing this method has allowed me to tune even the simplest program to a very close curve out to the distances where the bullet is still supersonic.

I use FBC -v3.3 on my mobile..

http://sites.google.com/site/freeballisticcalculator/

Once tuned it works incredibly well.
    I also modified mine to allow the holding and selection of different bullets/loads and an indication of mildots based on magnification.