Thermal Fox

Paddy_SP

The other night I took my big thermal imager on a foxing session to test it out with a new mini-DVR that I bought recently. After a while, I spotted a fox, and zoomed in on it, some 250 yards out. I then locked the thermal in position on the tripod and left it running while I set off with the rifle. At some 200 yards out, I set my .22-250 on the sticks and fired when I was happy that the shot was a good one. Here's a clip of the results: http://youtu.be/UszcvQpe52A

As a matter of interest am I right in saying that thermal imagers pick up the body heat of fox etc: through undergrowth. Does this show up on the imager? Would you for instance pick up anything between you and the target.

As a matter of interest am I right in saying that thermal imagers pick up the body heat of fox etc: through undergrowth. Does this show up on the imager? Would you for instance pick up anything between you and the target.

I believe that you can see the heat signature through light foliage/branches yes. Paddy?

Last edited:
I believe that you can see the heat signature through light foliage/branches yes. Paddy?

You can see the heat signature of anything where there is direct line of sight (excluding glass, which you can't see through). So, for example, if a fox were walking on the far side of a hedge, you'd only see if where there were gaps. In the video only half of the fox is visible - this is because it was sitting in deep grass at the time.

One of the great advanatges of thermal over NV is that you can look into places that contain lots of close-up objects such as branches and leaves without any of the problems caused by IR illuminators - namely, overpowering the device through massively bright reflections. You can also look directly at strong lights without any issues. Having said that, you still need the NV to make a positive ID before getting the rifle up. That's why I carry a mini-thermal around my neck, and an NV spotter hanging below it! :)

Paddy, A really good application of the technology, & I really don't want to start anything like a bunfight here, but would you let me know how you made the final call, "Yup, it's really charlie"....... without the feel of being right behind the gear your using on the night, I got the little voice in the background... looks like a good sized westie to me...?

Paddy, A really good application of the technology, & I really don't want to start anything like a bunfight here, but would you let me know how you made the final call, "Yup, it's really charlie"....... without the feel of being right behind the gear your using on the night, I got the little voice in the background... looks like a good sized westie to me...?

You are quite right - thermal is not the way to ID anything - I only use it to find the fox. I then go in for the kill with the NV. :)

Back