Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bore cleaning alternatives

Bore cleaning alternatives

Following on from the Wipeout thread; I've seen a lot of commentary on the American forums about Kroil and JB Bore paste.

From what I can gather Kroil is a penetrating oil (think WD40 if it really worked) which is intended to penetrate and lift any gunk including metals and the notoriously difficult moly, the paste then polishes it out.
    No need for bronze brushes.

Brownells sells them as a combo but won't ship it here as Kroil is considered naughty stuff. Otherwise, Kroil doesn't seem to be available here and the closest alternative seems to be Plusgas but I can't actually find out what it's made of.
    JB paste I can get from JJK or ebay.

So, does anyone have any experience of using Plusgas?

I have never used Kroil, but the American bench rest folks got me on to Hoppe’s Elite Gun Cleaner, it really does penetrate and is all I use on shotguns, and as a prelude to forest foam for centre fire.

JB is a mildly abrasive paste, useful for really stubborn fouling, but I have used it since I started using forest foam

http://shootingsports.edgarbrothers....n-Cleaner.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1066 View Post
    I have never used Kroil, but the American bench rest folks got me on to Hoppe’s Elite Gun Cleaner, it really does penetrate and is all I use on shotguns, and as a prelude to forest foam for centre fire.

JB is a mildly abrasive paste, useful for really stubborn fouling, but I have used it since I started using forest foam

http://shootingsports.edgarbrothers....n-Cleaner.aspx
    Thanks for the input. You have the same regime I do, elites and forrest.
    I was just wondering if anyone had tried the combo and whether it was streets ahead or pretty much the same...

Do you guys clean yours then

I'm probably in a very decided minority here, I would resist entering an "Abrasive" of any grade into any of my barrels, I would probably leave this activity to those who have more money than sense, & then elect to eat my own eyelids.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Kroil is good stuff - old ( say old because not up with current state of the art ) benchrest process was to mix with shooters choice solvent.

I got mine years ago from Aftab at Reloading Solutions. There is one down side - keeping it in the can. Mine literally crawled out the can unless the stopper was jammed on tight.

JB Compound - there are several grade. It is effectively a very very fine grinding paste. I have used it in the past with breaking in/ reconditioning very rough barrels, but personally would avoid it as part of a standard cleaning regime.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

As above Reloading Solutions get Kroil in every now and then.

I use Hoppes elite, Forrest bore foam or TM solutions (if someone recommended it I probably tried it).
    I resisted bronze brushes for years but eventually ran one through as the normal solvents were not seeming to get anything out. Once the surface of the copper was roughed up it came out like a dream.

I had to use JB paste to remove the carbon rings caused by using Varget. A bit rough on the throat but very good for the purpose and nothing else seemed to touch it.

There is nothing wrong with bronze brushes, just don't over do it.

I use Eezox oil - penetrates extremely well and gives exceptional corrosion resistance.
    I have not found anything better than Wipe-Out Patch Out liquid and the accelerator (which I rarely need).
    For stubborn copper, I use Montana Extreme Copper Cream which is like JB but much less abrasive and includes a chemical copper solvent as well.
    For stubborn carbon, I use a carburettor cleaner like Mercury/Quicksilver Power Tune.
    All on a patch. Occasionally use a nylon brush, never bronze any more, but rarely find brushing necessary. I think the amount of brushing required depends on how many shots are fired between cleaning sessions.
    I use Iso Clean (Iso-propanol) to remove excess oil from the bore before firing, but lighter fluid works just as well.
    That's all for my bore cleaning.

Not sure about the UK, but Kroils is also found at machinery tool & supply shops here in the states...might want to check your local machinst's supply shop around your area, as the machinst's trades may have a more constant supply...

Oh and ditto on the point about keeping it where it is...keep this stuff well clear of your scope rings. It will get in between the rings and scope, and the scope will begin to shift from recoil (don't ask how I know).

Steve Kershaw used to sell Kroil, thats where I got mine from. Aside from gun cleaning duties I've found it to work like nothing I've tried before when it comes to shifting stubborn nuts/bolts/parts.