Thread: Misted Binos

Misted Binos

Can anyone recommend anything to stop eyepieces misting on bino's when stalking on cold mornings - other than staying in bed!

When I had my motor bike I had a wax like block pink in color that you rubbed on the visor of your helmet and got no fogging. Only problem can't remember where I got it from (bike show) or what it was called. It might work on bino or scope. Someone on here will know I bet.

Two tip's. First , If you can put the bino's in your vehicle the night before you stalk so that the change of temp is less when you go out, obviously not good if your truck is not away from prying eyes.
    Secound , try one drop of washing up liquid in a little water and before you go out wipe the lenses with a piece of soft tissue or kitchen roll dipped in said water, then wipe clean with clean dry cloth or good kitchen roll this can help. Regards Widu.

bob heath visor spray is good,atb wayne

I use "Gloop" visor spray.

Quote Originally Posted by widu View Post
    Two tip's. First , If you can put the bino's in your vehicle the night before you stalk so that the change of temp is less when you go out, obviously not good if your truck is not away from prying eyes.
    That is the opposite advice to that I have always followed! I always keep my binos in the truck and they mist up badly on cold mornings. As I understand it by letting them get extremely cold overnight you are likely to worsen the misting that occurs when you put them up to your warm face!

I have found the only real way around, is to limit the use of the bino's to section sweeps of ground, removing from the eyes just as misting begins, minus eight c, last night whilst foxing, two Reynards within a minute,a bit like a "Left & Right" on Woodcock, misting up on the Leicas was imminent, timing your breaths is also an issue.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks for the advice at least it appears I'm not alone with the problem! Seemed worse with a face mask on (must have been the hot air rising)

I will try all methods suggested and report back on whether successful or not

Cheers 16bore

Quote Originally Posted by 16bore View Post
    Thanks for the advice at least it appears I'm not alone with the problem! Seemed worse with a face mask on (must have been the hot air rising)

I will try all methods suggested and report back on whether successful or not

Cheers 16bore
    I was wondering as i read down the thread if you wear a face mask or balaclava! When you breathe the warm air is pushed upwards taking the path of least resistance through the opening in said mask that you look through, and even in warm weather will cause a mist. It can't be helped unless you can hold your breath for the duration you hold the bins up for
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.