Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What goes on the FAC

What goes on the FAC

Hi guys, I have not started home loading, but am looking at doing so for .233, just for fun. No problem with factory Norma and Privi expanding. Can I have some guidance on what is required to be entered on the FAC. I can hold 500 and purchase 250.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    It's accuracy that kills.

You only require a variation for expanding bullets...provided your rifle is open for hunting. The rest is up to you, but remember, bullets count as ammunition whether assembled into cartridge or not.
    Primers and propellant don't go on FAC.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    You only require a variation for expanding bullets...provided your rifle is open for hunting. The rest is up to you, but remember, bullets count as ammunition whether assembled into cartridge or not.
    I am sure i read that bullet heads don't have to be recorded on your certificate, only the rfd has to make a record of it.
    But they all seem keen to add them on, there used to be a gunshop in Exeter called Braileys, and the owner Doug Brailey always made a point of not adding the heads on any certificate and said the police firearms dept had got it all wrong, sadly he retired and the next shop i went into added them on, go figure!
    Cheers
    Richard

From the firearms guidance:

2.9 “Ammunition” means ammunition for
    any firearm and includes grenades, bombs
    and other like missiles whether capable of
    use with a firearm or not, and also includes
    prohibited ammunition. It will be noted
    that the definition of ammunition does
    not include ingredients and components
    of ammunition; it is only assembled
    ammunition that is controlled under the
    Act, not component parts. Empty cartridge
    cases, for example, are not “ammunition”.
    The only exception to this is the missiles for
    ammunition prohibited under section 5 of the
    1968 Act, for example expanding or armourpiercing
    bullets. Such missiles are themselves
    regarded as “ammunition” and are subject to
    control accordingly.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thanks for the info. folks. Seems fairly clear. As I will be mainly using for hunting then it seems that all of the ammo I will use will be expanding it will go on the ticket. Thanks again.
    It's accuracy that kills.

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    The RFD in his wisdom will record for himself and some do some don't, put the purchase of expanding bullets on your FAC. However, the bullets will be/are part of your authorised to purchase/hold allocation.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheruk View Post
    Thanks for the info. folks. Seems fairly clear. As I will be mainly using for hunting then it seems that all of the ammo I will use will be expanding it will go on the ticket. Thanks again.
    No Dave the expanding bullets/missiles you purchase do not need to be entered onto your FAC by the selling RFD. He only needs to see your certificate to establish the fact that you have the expanding ammo condition on it that allows you to possess them - you should already have that condition if you are using factory expanding, so no need for a variation.

The relevant reference in the HO Guidance is under Chapter 3.17

"It is not
    necessary for the dealer making the sale to
    record transactions of expanding bullets on
    the certificate but the sale should be recorded
    in the dealer’s register."

I've had this out with a couple of RFDs who had been told by the FLD that they had to make an entry on the purchaser's FAC for expanding bullets. After showing them the extract from the HO Guidance they agreed that no entry should be made.

BTW. There is also no requirement for you to enter your handloaded and complete ammunition on your own FAC. Some forces appear to have a bit of a thing about this - my own FEO did until put straight about it - and seem to think it is required to somehow 'prove' that you have been using the firearm come variation time. That is just bollox, 'good reason' to possess is not linked to usage.

Just remember as others have noted - your total holding includes complete assembled rounds, (purchased or handloaded), and expanding bullets. So ask for a decent increase if required. Acquire 500, possess 600 is a good start.
    Last edited by Orion; 16-01-2012 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    No Dave the expanding bullets/missiles you purchase do not need to be entered onto your FAC by the selling RFD. He only needs to see your certificate to establish the fact that you have the expanding ammo condition on it that allows you to possess them - you should already have that condition if you are using factory expanding, so no need for a variation.The relevant reference in the HO Guidance is under Chapter 3.17"It is notnecessary for the dealer making the sale torecord transactions of expanding bullets onthe certificate but the sale should be recordedin the dealer’s register."I've had this out with a couple of RFDs who had been told by the FLD that they had to make an entry on the purchaser's FAC for expanding bullets. After showing them the extract from the HO Guidance they agreed that no entry should be made.BTW. There is also no requirement for you to enter your handloaded and complete ammunition on your own FAC. Some forces appear to have a bit of a thing about this - my own FEO did until put straight about it - and seem to think it is required to somehow 'prove' that you have been using the firearm come variation time. That is just bollox, 'good reason' to possess is not linked to usage.
    This is good to know. Im currently thinking about starting home loading.

I think id want all the bullets id bought entered on my FAC, not least so the police can see that im actually using reasonable amounts of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    I think id want all the bullets id bought entered on my FAC, not least so the police can see that im actually using reasonable amounts of ammo.
    I used to have mine put on FAC for this very reason.
    Most RFD's I use these days add the expanding bullets on as a matter of course but not target rounds.