Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boresighter

Boresighter

Does anyone use one?

I was toying with the idea of getting one to check the zero on my rifle prior to a stalk.

Any recommendations as to style/makes? Do you get what you pay for? I've noticed that there are BSA branded and Bushnell branded models that look very similar, although the prices aren't!

Cheers,

Novice

bore sighters

Hi Novice.

From what I understand - bore sighters will only get you shooting in an area the size of an A4 piece of paper - so wouldn't really give you a true or trustworthy indication that your sights are zero'd properly - certainly not accurate for use prior to a stalk.

Other threads have covered this and the general opinion is, don't bother with them. I had exactly the same thoughts as yourself but have had my mind changed.

Daemon

I have an old Tasco 1 somewhere.

They are fine for getting you onto a piece of A4.

Not really worth it, and definately not precise enough for pre stalk checks, stick to having a couple of rounds at the target

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    You'd be better off bore sighting yourself, these things are not that good, I tried using one and it was toilet to say the least, you will be as accurate doing what I have written below.

1. Remove your bolt.
    2. Find/make an obvious "target", half a sheet of A4 (A5 i Think) on a ply background, something easily seen (You only need to place this 50m away or there abouts).
    3. Position rifle, pointing at the target, looking through the barrel bore of the rifle, get it so you are looking at the sheet of A4 through the barrel bore. (you will need to do this while not supporting the rifle, Bipod and Butt supported with the use of binos or shooting rest type bag))
    4. Adjust scope turrets to match your X hairs to where you are looking.
    5. If you wanted to, move the A4 target out to 100m, and test and adjust if you feel you needed to.

As Daemo said, this will only get you onto the A4 sheet, less ammunition wasted to get you on target, but you still need to fine tune at 100m or whatever distance you wish to 0/0 Zero at.

If you need a confidence check zero, why not set out a target a 100m on your stalking ground at the other end of where you intend to start at and take a shot, I did this just the other day, albeit after my Stalk, deer will not move far, and will certinally move back into the area with in the hour.

Hope that is of some help.

TJ

Thanks for the replies gents. Think I've just saved myself a bit of brass!

I have a Tasco one like Bambislayer and agree with the limitations mentioned.

However, I've never tried one of the newer lazer bore sighters....In theory, they have the potential to be more accurate and could be worth while looking into...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E

However, I've never tried one of the newer lazer bore sighters....In theory, they have the potential to be more accurate and could be worth while looking into...
    I have tried them, I don't think they are that good, I had inaccuracies with it, 3 times tried and 3 different readings. You also need to mark where it points at your given zero, I would be very surprised if you got your sight, your round and the lazer pointer to ALL hit the same spot, your sight and round will, however, the lazer will be anywhere within 2".

A traditional bore sighter is better, but even then, once zeroed, you still need to check and mark where on the grid you are actually zeroed at.

I still believe that a check zero at a target 100m is still better, most places where stalking is available will have some out of the way place where you can set this up with little or no disturbance to the actual stalk.

Spend a couple of quid on a couple of rounds, save over 50 on a boresighter/lazer sighter, it will also give you a confidence shot on a target and not have doubts on quarry.

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock
    I have tried them, I don't think they are that good, I had inaccuracies with it, 3 times tried and 3 different readings. You also need to mark where it points at your given zero, I would be very surprised if you got your sight, your round and the lazer pointer to ALL hit the same spot, your sight and round will, however, the lazer will be anywhere within 2".
    I've not actually used one so will have to take your word on this..The units I'm thinking of are the ones that are shaped like a round, and are chambered in the usual way. Given that the lazer is then "fired" up the bore, I wonder why they are not repeatably accurate?

you still need to check and mark where on the grid you are actually zeroed at.
    Agreed....

I still believe that a check zero at a target 100m is still better, most places where stalking is available will have some out of the way place where you can set this up with little or no disturbance to the actual stalk.
    While I agree they can't be a complete substitiute for zeroing, being able to check zero without firing a shot would certainly be handy at times.

What I would really want is for it to be able to demonstrate when my zero has change (ie after my scopes had a knock) rather than to use it for the initial zeroing of a scope...As you mentioned earlier boresighting and an initial 25m zero is the way to go when first zeroing a scope....

Regards,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E
    I've not actually used one so will have to take your word on this..The units I'm thinking of are the ones that are shaped like a round, and are chambered in the usual way. Given that the lazer is then "fired" up the bore, I wonder why they are not repeatably accurate?
    The same type,

I borrowed the one I used, it was bought from the US........

No faith in it at all. Maby something like the lazer was not seated on the base of the case exactly, no idea, and then as I rechambered it, it was not in the same position, slightly rotated or something along those lines...

TJ

SD Regular
    They have their uses. I tried one in France. The type that fits into the muzzle with various sizes of collar to centre it.

I think that the easiest way to go is to follow a friends advice. Bore sight (down the bore with you eye) not on a piece of paper but on a plumbed vertical black line.

That way you know that your 'scope is centred (windage correct) and then use a square of paper to get the elevation.

I recall those grid things that stuck in the muzzle and you noted the co-ordinates of where your reticle was once it was zeroed. Like a game of "Battleships".

Are these still made? Tasco...I think?