Thread: .17 reloading dies

.17 reloading dies

What dies do you .17 rem boys use? I love my remi but hate my rcbs dies getting the heads in straight is a complete nightmare has anyone got any idea's or suggestions how to stop the heads falling over once its in the die or maybe suggest a different die to try out.

Put more of a chamfer on the inside of the case neck or use bt's if you can get them in .17

The 22 hornet is like that, flaring the case mouth and finishing the round off with a crimp cures it, and my ammo is more consistant with a crimp.

Neil.

Chris,

Forster micrometer seating die will sort your problem!
    Must admit that I had to modify the seat spindle for seating 17 grain bullets 'part from that best seating die on the market!

Bit reluctant to overwork 17 rem brass (flaring) as it does have a tendency to split, saying that have not had a case split since I made my annealer...

i got the comp redding seating die and the standard redding seating die and have no problems seating the bullets.

the rcbs comp die has a window you just pop the bullet into. it will hold it for you as long as you got the ram arm up

also a good thing to do is when you seat bullet half seat it. pull ram arm back up turn the case 180% and then seat it the rest of the way
    Last edited by jay 22; 16-01-2012 at 11:22.

For me the lee dies are excellent and cheap,with the seater just hold the bullet in place until the case inters the die presto never had an issue !!!!

Redding comp or Wilson. No problems with either.

Cheers gents think I'm gonna have a look round for a different set if dies not sure if they do a comp set in rcbs thou, last time I looked I couldn't find any anywhere but I will have a look into the others you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stephens View Post
    Cheers gents think I'm gonna have a look round for a different set if dies not sure if they do a comp set in rcbs thou, last time I looked I couldn't find any anywhere but I will have a look into the others you suggest.
    I have a rcbs comp set in 22/250 and they do a comp seater in 17 rem also.

Be worth looking at sinclairs website also and getting one from the usa
    Last edited by jay 22; 17-01-2012 at 09:57.

thankyou jay ill have a look tonight and see what I can find hopefully get one ordered as I really like the rcbs comp dies.