Thread: Help please

Help please

I am new to this relaoding lark but I have had good results untill now (5 shots less than a 5 pence piece) my last loads were all to hell lucky if I attained a 5 inch group ?? I am using a Sako 75,75 and 87 grain Hornady Vmax 37grains of Hogden Varget CCI primmers Norma once maybe twice fired brass,I have noticed that when I go to reload my cases the bullet is tight going into the case BEFORE I even neck size ?? can anyone tell me why this is happening as I have never noticed this before ?? any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.to my knowledge I have not altered any of my process,every thing is ok with the rifle as I can shoot Noma 100 grain ok ??Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by 177landy;309799....,I have noticed that when I go to reload my cases the bullet is tight going into the case [U
    BEFORE[/U] I even neck size ?? can anyone tell me why this is happening as I have never noticed this before ?? ........
    Chris. You have asked a number of questions, but I am only responding on the specific point above. The thought that jumps out is that the throat/chamber of your rifle has not been cleaned. Can I suggest you thoroughly clean the bore and chamber and then try shooting the same load again?

Secondly, although folk can offer good advice via the Forum, you can't beat someone standing looking over your shoulder giving you their opinion on what they actually see you doing. Good luck JCS

My first thought is that it is not unusual for the bullets to be tight going in the cases before sizing, and I would be more worried if it was easy, as this shows that there is no neck tension and your brass is not springing back.

If the neck wall thickness is uneven you could try neck turning, but I would get the calipers out first and check the wall thickness for even width.
    Make sure that the case mouth has been chamfered and deburred as this helps the bullet to seat and reduces the chance of you shaving the bullets down.

If the loads were exactly the same as before it must be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by 177landy View Post
    I am new to this relaoding lark but I have had good results untill now (5 shots less than a 5 pence piece) my last loads were all to hell lucky if I attained a 5 inch group ?? I am using a Sako 75,75 and 87 grain Hornady Vmax 37grains of Hogden Varget CCI primmers Norma once maybe twice fired brass,I have noticed that when I go to reload my cases the bullet is tight going into the case BEFORE I even neck size ?? can anyone tell me why this is happening as I have never noticed this before ?? any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.to my knowledge I have not altered any of my process,every thing is ok with the rifle as I can shoot Noma 100 grain ok ??Chris.
    From your comments I bet most of your testing and shooting has been done with something like once used 100g Norma SP rounds/brass..correct me if wrong. then you reloaded them and tested your loads and found them very accurate. However, now that you are reloading them for the second time, it is a different powder that's been put through the case, perhaps leaving the neck marginally less expanded in the chamber. But! if you are resizing the case and neck before reloading again, there is no real reason why the bullets should sit tighter than they originally did. are you using the same resizing die? are they by any chance chromed cases?

Think back, what have you done since your last load that is remotely different, anything? have you ever reloaded your brass twice and tested it for accuracy? does your rifle still shoot POI with your first batch? (if not then it's not the ammo)

Thank you all for your replies I have made a note of them and will work through them sisstem systtum syst. In order tahnks also to PKL ( are you a clairvoyant ??) that is exactly what has happened except for the chromed cases thank you once again.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 177landy View Post
    tahnks also to PKL ( are you a clairvoyant ??) Chris
    Yes