Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting foxes

Shooting foxes

I was sat up for deer yesterday morning and a fox started to trot across my target area. It never stood so I never got a shot but it got me thinking, are there any welfare issues to take into account when shooting foxes such as not targeting vixens at a particular time of year so as not to leave a den full of cubs to starve to death?

It may be a stupid question but i've never had anything to do with fox shooting.

If I See them, I shoot them.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

If i see them, and they're safe i shoot them.

BTW a vixen wont have dependent cubs at this time of year, she will still be carrying them. They usually give birth around March.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    If i see them, and they're safe i shoot them.

BTW a vixen wont have dependent cubs at this time of year, she will still be carrying them. They usually give birth around March.
    Thanks, that's something I didn't know. Are there any quick ways to tell the difference between a dog and vixen?

Theoretically you could argue that foxes should attract the same degree of respect or legal protection (the fox act anyone?) as any other animal, deer badger or blue tit.
    There is a combination of anthropomorphism and vested interest that has got us to the point we are at. Deer are bambies foxes are sly and badgers wear tweed and use monicles.
    Few people would bat an eyelid if you shot a fox oop tharse but would go mental if you shot a deer with anything other than a textbook heart lung with a certain bullet design. Has anyone spent time with a dog finding a fox that was a runner?
    I'm guilty of these things myself, I shoot loads of foxes and a few deer and my approach to the moralities is slightly different. I suspect this is partly driven by law partly by peer influence and tradition and perhaps a little by anthropomorphism. Well foxes are spiteful after all (how many times have I read that old chestnut)

In answer to your question I would have shot it running

Cheers Adjman.

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    Theoretically you could argue that foxes should attract the same degree of respect or legal protection (the fox act anyone?) as any other animal, deer badger or blue tit.
    From me they will get the same degree of respect, which is why I am keen to know more about foxes before I end up with one in the crosshairs. It's easier to ask the questions before pulling the trigger than finding out afterwards that you've done something wrong, illegal or, worse still, frowned upon!!

FSC 1, FSC 2 and the Advanced Fox Shooters Course anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve29 View Post
    Cheers Adjman.

From me they will get the same degree of respect, which is why I am keen to know more about foxes before I end up with one in the crosshairs. It's easier to ask the questions before pulling the trigger than finding out afterwards that you've done something wrong, illegal or, worse still, frowned upon!!

FSC 1, FSC 2 and the Advanced Fox Shooters Course anyone?
    as long as you do the gralloch

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    as long as you do the gralloch
    It would appear my 270 130gr have an 'auto-gralloch feature' on them for dear charlie................
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........