Joining a syindicate

Hi it depends on who the syndicate ground is leased from as to whether you can be put on a lease with out a fac.

do you have a shot gun certificate

No don't have a shot gun certificate tried the clays and bolting rabbits but never really got hooked on shot guns like a did dear stalking, but suppose if I'd had that then it would have helped. Just need to keep looking asking and waiting till the chance comes up.no rush can still enjoy my payed days while i get sorted.

fac

Hi it depends on who the syndicate ground is leased from as to whether you can be put on a lease with out a fac.
in staffordshire fao is happy with stalking with estate rifle to gain experiance.in preperation of getting own stalking rifle

Hi all. Have asked a few questions on "what's expected" but come across this thread. I also have booked my first stalk with my FAC in place, so a little of topic. Mereside has mentioned getting your stalk "written up". I assume this is some sort of formal record of the stalk. Would it be a good idea to have this record to go towards any DSC qualification in the future? Should one keep a record of stalks, animals shot, ammo used etc? Not just from a point of interest but because there is some requirement either for obtaining DSC or equiv or from any legal point?

woodmaster ,when i started stalking and asked about getting my firearms cert i was told to book 4 stalks by my feo and to do at least one before the meeting and have some in advance of getting my cert i did two which i sent in with my application with a further two a month apart this was to show i still had good reason for my application .now as it turns out i also managed to secure a small permission but after i recieved my cert. i have kept all my records and how much ammo i use what i have shot and dates this is alot for my own reflection to see where the deer are at certain time of the year. back to the question because i was new to stalking i didnt want to shoot the deer without knowing what i was doing and chose to stalk them and study without my rifle and carried on stalking with people who helped me out no end and i feel i gained more this way than dsc1 or going off on my own. when i was ready i knew where my deer where and was confident i could handle myself ,atb wayne just one more thing my feo wanted to know how many deer i had taken and what species as well as ground i stalked this also ,with letters from guys i stalk with to get rid of my mentor clause and also to have an open cert .

Last edited:
I was lucky in that i got a letter from the lease holder saying that i could join and in doing so required a deer legal rifle.
I also enroled at the same time my DSC1 and also applied for my FAC.
When the feo came over for the visit i showed the DSC1 confirmation to him and he was fine.

woodmaster ,when i started stalking and asked about getting my firearms cert i was told to book 4 stalks by my feo and to do at least one before the meeting and have some in advance of getting my cert i did two which i sent in with my application with a further two a month apart this was to show i still had good reason for my application

just one more thing my feo wanted to know how many deer i had taken and what species as well as ground i stalked this also ,with letters from guys i stalk with to get rid of my mentor clause and also to have an open cert .

Your FEO seems to be going above and beyond the call of duty. Not really any of their business how many deer you shoot or what breed they are. One booked stalk gives you good reason. I had one stalk booked for roe and one booked for reds and got both a 6.5X55 and a .308. I did have my DSC1 but did that because I wanted to, not because anyone made me.

apache ,i think it was more to do with how much experience i had in trying to get rid of my mentor clause and open out my ticket . showing the number of deer and how much i was stalking helped me get everything i wanted ,atb wayne

Good info

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like there is a vast difference across the country with the attitude of the FAO. I take the view that although I feel it VERY important that firearms are controlled I do think this should be done with more consistency. I don't really see why one person had to jump through so many hoops and receives a ticket with a list of conditions as long as your arm, while another (myself included) receives theirs with little trouble and only sensible conditions pertaining to where I can shoot without first having the ground passed for a particular caliber. Back to the original item. The only thing I would still like to know is whether I should ask for proof of my stalks for future reference or to form part of any DSC should I wish to go that route?

you should keep records of all your stalks , and names and phone numbers all stalkers you have been out with on dsc it does ask about what type of deer you have shot and how many

Back