Light load 6.5 x 55

Overlay

Hi Guys

Anyone got any ideals on a light load / bullet type etc for a 6.5 x 55 for foxes

Rifle is med action 8 twist barrel SAKO 85

Looking loads up, the twist dictates the weight in relation to accuracy.

If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated

ATB

Phil

I philip i used sierra 85gr in 6.5x55 mine is a tikka varmint with 1in8 twist and powder was n160 works really well good on the foxes but not so good on munty. atb derek.:)

I philip i used sierra 85gr in 6.5x55 mine is a tikka varmint with 1in8 twist and powder was n160 works really well good on the foxes but not so good on munty. atb derek.:)

derek not wishing to hijack the thread but as phillip asked the sam question as was going through my mind

the siearra 85s that you use are they ballistic tip or soft points as i also have a tikka varmint and am looking for a load for fox

[n 6.5 swede in conjuction with v160 atb foxxer

Cheers Guys
Greatly appreciated, got something to work on now, I was a bit concerned that the low twist would throw a lighter round all over the place 85 grn sounds just about right for old charlie boy.

I would be concerned the 85gr are a bit short, stability might be poor. If you are going to use the 6.5 for foxes, take full advantage of it. Try 100gr BT's, over even better, 108 gr Scenars - they are awesome.

Im using 95 grain hornady vmax in my 6.5 sauer 202 outback, they are a savage round, havnt shot any foxes with them but have head and neck shot a few deer with them. below is a sika hind shot with it the damage to the neck is unreal.
.Photo0004.jpg

Might also trying some IMR Trail Boss powder for these light bullets. Lower velocities would make for an interesting (and quieter) round...

Sierra 85 grain varmint bullets shot great in my sako 75.
1/4 in groups at 100 yards and 1.5in at 300 yards.
I used 48 grains of h414.

Hi Guys Anyone got any ideals on a light load / bullet type etc for a 6.5 x 55 for foxes Rifle is med action 8 twist barrel SAKO 85 Looking loads up, the twist dictates the weight in relation to accuracy. If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated ATB Phil

i am loading 95 grain v-max, pushing it with h414 through my tikka t lite 6.5x55 and have been shooting 0.775" at 150 yard with it... and they are grat on foxes, and have shot a fue deer with them... but you have too nut them cos they do make a mess.... hope this helps...

​charlie

Back