Good bullet other than 150gr for 308?

Von

I have been using my 308 for roe the last few weeks due to changing my 243 and waiting on firearms variation. I have been using 150gr Hornady SST'S through the 308, good bullet for Sika, bowles them over!! but had a few runners on Roe, I don't think their is enough body mass with Roe for the bullet to expand properly.

Any recomendations for a good head for 308 for Roe?

I use Nosler 150gr BTs in .308 on everything. Driven at circa 2700 fps and have no problems.

If I were you I'd give them another chance, sst's are normally very soft meaning expand quickly.
Otherwise try a standard soft point. What speed are they traveling at out of your 308?
edi

123gr sako soft points is my bullet of choice in the .308 i mainly shoot Red & Roe.

125 grn SGK.
I use them mainly on Muntjac but have taken Fallow, Roe and Sika with them.

Whilst it is normally a target bullet a 155 grain or 168 grain Hornandy A max is excellent on evrything

Shame it's illegal on deer so not much good for the original posters question.

If you like polymer tipped bullets then you won't go wrong with Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips if you want a soft point then the Sako 123gr game head it's a good bullet for a thirty cal.

Shame it's illegal on deer so not much good for the original posters question.

If you like polymer tipped bullets then you won't go wrong with Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips if you want a soft point then the Sako 123gr game head it's a good bullet for a thirty cal.

If anything A max's expand a bit too quickly, but I believe the law says that they must be designed or adapted to expand. As far as I know there is nothing actually in the law which says who can design or adapt them though.

Actually, coupling this advice with Von's other concern about low(ish) muzzle velocities from his 16" barrel, I would think A max's are well worth a try. Very accurate and not hard to get or too expensive and those very favourable BC's retain velocity very well indeed.

Btw, I use them on fox from my 6.5 regularly and they are excellent. I might use them on Roe too but the opportunity has never arisen, though my 6.5 load does launch 140grain A max's at about 3,000 fps MV, which might cause them to "over expand" a bit, at closer ranges.

Just been out last weekend an shot 2 roe does with federal powershok, one though the lungs ( ran approx 30 yards) second through the lungs taking the spine dropped on the spot. Heads seam to expand well with terminal effect on roe.

ps picked up a couple of boxes of Hornady super performance in .308 loaded with 150grn sst's suppose to drive the SST pill at over 3000fps with out any pressure signed on increase in felt recoil will see how I get on. suspect they might do too much damage for me to want to use them on roe.

And for that very reason they are now classified as not suitable for use on deer:

http://www.nrcofs.org/OldResults/2011/hornady_a-max_21840.pdf

:D

You are a card.

The link you posted concludes that... "ACPO FELWG wish to emphasise this is an opinion and not a legal ruling"

and... BASC "It was important to establish the design intention as that is what matters for the law"

Von will be designing his reloads and his intention, therefore, must matter "for the law".

ps. I therefore stand by what I posted and, given Von's particular issues ,reckon my input is both useful and valid.

Last edited:
Well, he can either take your (IMO) shakey advice, or heed what the Home Office are saying:

"The Home Office indicated that in the absence of a court ruling and any public safety concerns,
there was evidence to show the design of the bullet was for match target use, and not as a hunting
bullet designed to expand on impact."

His call of course. ;)

Back