Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 Norma 120gr Ballistic Tip factory Ammo

6.5x55 Norma 120gr Ballistic Tip factory Ammo

Hi Folks,
    Just joined yesterday and looking to do some stalking again in the near future. I have a Sako 75 Finnlight that groups brilliant with .5 moa. Well pleased with it on target but haven't used it on deer yet. I used a .308 on deer in the past with 150gr SP and so have no experience of BTs on deer. Just wondered if anyone had used the 120gr BTs as I've heard the various opinions of meat damage etc.
    Thanks,

RP

I used the Norma Factory 120 Gn BT loads in the early stages with my 6.5x55, and couldnt get better than 3/4 MOA , ( Also IMHO these are expensive rounds) and so continued to reload using Lapua brass, Fed GM210 primers , 49 Gns RL22, seated at 25 thou off the lands, this gives better than 1/2 MOA all day every day, and better if I am doing it properly. The MV is 2850fps, which is not quick, and I do not get excessive meat damage. However , any chest shot is broadside on, so I get clean entry and exit wounds, and a clearly visible outshot. This load has performed well on Roe and Fallow, and no reason to suppose it is not good for Reds also. Foxes hate it !

Don't replicate the loads without working up to it, watching for pressure signs IF you elect to go this route.

T260

Welcome onboard.

Check out scotspine on here, he has some good recipes for 140 grains Sierra Gamekings and R19.

Cheers

Alan(KG)

I've played around with most of the Norma 6.5 x 55 rounds and settled on the 156gr Oryx.

Use it on Roe and Red here and everything upto Kudu in Africa.

Reckon it gives least meat damage on Roe compared to the 120gr BT and 140 gr NP.

Stan

Thanks for the replies lads. T260, not reloading at present but have the dies and will work towards your load as a starter when I get going.

My doubts were to the loads effectiveness and meat damage having heard differing stories. I'll try it out on fallow soon all being well. Stan - I tried the Oryx as well and the groups were much larger (light barrel or twist rate?) and settled on the 120grs purely on paper results at present. Point taken re africa though larger game demands the heavier head and probably makes a larger group less of an issue all else being equal?
    Thanks. RP

RP,

As a hunter I'm only interested in the first bullet doing the job. I decided to pick one bullet for my Sako 85 and stick to it. Make it do everything. 150M zero.

I've shot springbok out to 340 M with a 28" holdover. Frightening.

Yes, I can be one or two inches off where i would ideally like the bullet to hit but that's me, not the bullet. I used to zero prone or off a bench. Couldn't replicate in the field. Now check zero off sticks. One shot and if it's in a 4" diameter "bull" around where I ideally want it then it's a kill.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery
    RP,

Yes, I can be one or two inches off where i would ideally like the bullet to hit but that's me, not the bullet. I used to zero prone or off a bench. Couldn't replicate in the field. Now check zero off sticks. One shot and if it's in a 4" diameter "bull" around where I ideally want it then it's a kill.

Stan
    Stan,

I think you deserve this weeks Mr sensible award. Zero your rifle off a bench by all means but then practice under field conditions, sticks etc get the zero in the kill zone, cannot be improved upon IMHO.

John

"Now check zero off sticks"

The whole point of zeroing your rifle prone or off a bench is to prove the set up you have with the bullets that you are going to use. If you are spreading them around 4 inches there is something far wrong!!

It is ok in field conditions, but not when zeroing or checking your set-up.

Jingzy,

To me "zeroing" is going to a range and shooting a three or four shot group using some sort of firm support such as bags, rests or bipod. Taking time and consistantly trying to repeat the same action. Then make any adjustment on the scope. Then repeat until satisfied.

This I rarely have the opportunity to do.

"Check zero" to me is a single shot at the beginning of a stalking trip to satisfy myself that nothing dramatic has happened to my setup. I choose to replicate the actions I would be using in the field, not on the range. Being "within 2" of intended impact point" at 150 M is still in the kill zone.

Stan