Thread: .270 for fox

.270 for fox

hello all,

i about to put in for my first centrefire rifle of my own, i using my dads .243 at the moment which is on my FAC.
    im looking at the .270 but i have heard the FLO not allowing a .270 for the sole use of fox control?
    im looking for a one rifle set up for mainly fallow, fox an equally %. plus a week of red hind stalking in scotland every year.
    wondering if any one esle had exprience/heard of this.

atb matt

Tell your FLO that a .270 is what you want as it suits everything you do.

I cant believe the cheek of some of the FLO's t'other side of wall.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    Tell your FLO that a .270 is what you want as it suits everything you do.

I cant believe the cheek of some of the FLO's t'other side of wall.
    this is what i was thinking to be fair, but wanted to know if anyone had, had the same thing. i haven't submitted my variation just wanted to be prepared

It's all about how you ask. .270 for deer and you want to shoot foxes with the same rifle to save having an extra rifle. The deer is good reason, no reason then why you shouldn't kill a fox with it.

Simples

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

If you are planning to use the .270 for deer and can prove it, ask for the "any other lawful quarry" wording to be added as well as deer conditioning, which was designed for exactly this scenario and will take care of fox.

As per BASC link below:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...F72349FD5C6B90

Quote Originally Posted by David TS View Post
    If you are planning to use the .270 for deer and can prove it, ask for the "any other lawful quarry" wording to be added as well as deer conditioning, which was designed for exactly this scenario and will take care of fox.

As per BASC link below:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...F72349FD5C6B90

thank you thats handy too know.
    matt

"Any other legal quarry"
    this wording is totally down to your police authority some don't aknowledge it exists.
    I have a letter saying such

Cheers

L&B wouldnt give me AOLQ and wouldnt give me fox on the 270 because I had fox and deer on the 243.

his argument was that I wouldnt take the 270 specifically for foxing when I had a 243 in the cabinet. and if foxing with the 243 and I happened to see a deer it is conditioned for deer anyway!

He also said that it was perfectly acceptable to shoot foxes whilst out stalking with the 270 (this I have in writing) as the deer condition is the reason you want to own the rifle which under their application of the HO guidelines is the "largest" quarry you can shoot with that calibre.

its a catch 22.
    if you apply for all singing and dancing 270 one could argue that you would not need a 243 if you decided to apply for one!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    "Any other legal quarry"
    this wording is totally down to your police authority some don't aknowledge it exists.
    I have a letter saying such
    It probably doesn't as it's Any Other Lawful Quarry.

Joshing aside, it's the one to go for and you can quote the ACPO recommendation at them, (as per the BASC link), and ask them why they are refusing to impliment it. Especially as it would reduce their costs via the reduction in manpower hours they spend trying to micro-manage the FAC conditions in their area.

MGD. They primary 'good reason' for acquiring the .270 should be deer. The HO Guidance then allows other quarry to be taken as per 13.14 & 13.22. As already said, the AOLQ condition is the one to request as it removes a shedload of hassle right from the off.
    Last edited by Orion; 19-01-2012 at 13:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    It probably doesn't as it's Any Other Lawful Quarry.

Joshing aside, it's the one to go for and you can quote the ACPO recommendation at them, (as per the BASC link), and ask them why they are refusing to impliment it. Especially as it would reduce their costs via the reduction in manpower hours they spend trying to micro-manage the FAC conditions in their area.

MGD. They primary 'good reason' for acquiring the .270 should be deer. The HO Guidance then allows other quarry to be taken as per 13.14 & 13.22. As already said, the AOLQ condition is the one to request as it removes a shedload of hassle right from the off.
    ok thank you, im hoping to put my ticket in end of the month hopefully hassle free.
    atb matt