Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lamping foxes

lamping foxes

just in from an early lamping session, one of ma mate went in place of my mate that usually goes with me. it was had work as he had never been before,when he was lamping had to tell him that foxes dont climb trees.next he was in slowmotion then on fast forward ,then lit me up like a christmas tree with the lamp,it amazing that at the end of the session we actually got one,think next time i'll give it a miss if my mate that normally goes cant make it, at least he got me out so thank to that

If your in a fix again mate gies a shout ,nothing worse than a dodgy lamper been there a few times myself

Established Poster
    Everybody has to start somewhere and according to your own discussion, the guy had never been lamping before.
    I think its up to the experienced shooting party to impart knowledge and experience onto novices in the correct manner, this leads to safer and more effective shooting in my opinion.

Like you say though, at least you got out and managed to get a fox.

Did your new lamper also slam the car door and rattle the chains on all the gates?
    Everybody has to learn sometime but it always seems like some folk don't give an ounce of thought to how it all works.

Here guys im not knocking the novices as you say everyone has to learn ,some are beyond learning tho,my worst experience was when my mate couldnt reach over the roof to get the right angle so gave the lamp to a visitor behind me who had shot and lamped thousands of foxes over the years.He turned the lamp on before even getting it out the window then 6 times Id to grab his hand and put him back on the fox he kept sweeping with the lamp

I know what you mean last week we were seeing a fox when we were out walking the dogs. The girlfriend then wanted to come and shoot the fox, so I took the rifle with us and she lamped the beam was all over the place, up trees bouncing up and down everywhere, needless to say the fox didn't come near and hasn't since.

Know what you mean Big Cat. Going out with a new lamping partner wakes you up to your ways of working with your "normal guy". Even going out with another person who knows the score can change the routine but I agree with the others here, we all had to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by oilmanjd View Post
    Everybody has to start somewhere and according to your own discussion, the guy had never been lamping before.
    I think its up to the experienced shooting party to impart knowledge and experience onto novices in the correct manner, this leads to safer and more effective shooting in my opinion.

thanks for that but explained everything on way there and as we were getting ready,and because it was windy he kept shouting because he couldn't hear me what i was trying to tell him out there,you can only try

Quote Originally Posted by oilmanjd View Post

where the hell am i going wrong with you then

Quote Originally Posted by Pipmoff View Post
    I know what you mean last week we were seeing a fox when we were out walking the dogs. The girlfriend then wanted to come and shoot the fox, so I took the rifle with us and she lamped the beam was all over the place, up trees bouncing up and down everywhere, needless to say the fox didn't come near and hasn't since.
    Thought you were out to shoot foxes