Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stock working

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

stock working

OK lads

Just who is the best guy to speak too on the site about working the barrel channel out on a stock,

I have the new 308 here and i think the stock has never been off the rifle since it was made. the stock needs to be floated before i start working on a load or its all a waste of time doing the load and then working the stock,

what i would like to ask is what do you use on a wooden stock to open up the barrel channel enough to have it fully floated, i have an idea off what i would like to use but im not keen on messing a very very nice laminate stock up.

kind regards

bob.

PS: im not talking sand paper here, is there a tool that we can use etc.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

to make a neat finish you need have it done with a milling maching if you know someone with 1 or call a gunsmith ,or brownells sell tools for floating barrels ,but the time you spend money on the tool and vat and delivery the gunsmith is the cheapest option ,or have a go with sand parper wrapped around something round like a long socket of the right size and take it slowly till you get the right clearence ,you will need to reseal the stock wonce floated, thats the cheapest option m8

Socket set, sandpaper and elbow grease. Wrap your sandpaper around a socket and use long strokes.

Start small and work your way up until you have the correct clearance.

Easy to do and cheap as chips!

Yes to socket and sand paper. Have done this on two of may wooden stocked rifles and it has made a noticable difference. I used Danish Oil (the stuff used to seal wooden work surfaces) to seal the sanded areas as it soaks in and seals rather that a varnish which means that all the hard work you've done removing the wood is undone by replacing it with layers of varnish. You're not goint to see it anyway it only needs to stop moisture being taken up by the bare wood.

Win Mod 70

ha ha ha, you'll not like it, but yes, sandpaper! there's also some tools available from midway but you need to spend the money first, then perhaps re-sell on the classified if you don't need it anymore, I'm sure someone might buy it...otherwise ask on the classified if anyone has a spare tool you can borrow???

Blog Entries
    thank you lads.

some cracking ideas and as the shooting budget is getting tighter by the day i had an idea ?.

im going with a home made job that i have done today after loading the .308 rounds for load testing, the first prototype worked well but i need to find a better one.

its simple cheap and you should have all you need at home, (a bit like me)

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

SD Regular
    Bob,

I thought these were designed not to be free-floating? Mine is factory standard and seems to smack the target quite nicely - not that I target shoot you understand, but sub inch groups with most ammo I've tried.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Bob,

I thought these were designed not to be free-floating? Mine is factory standard and seems to smack the target quite nicely - not that I target shoot you understand, but sub inch groups with most ammo I've tried.
    Hi Si

Im one for free floating a barrel, just one of those things i get into,

seems to work and work well.on my 6mmbr it took the group size from 14mm to just 9 mm at 100 yards, or was i just trying harder

bob.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Hi Si

Im one for free floating a barrel, just one of those things i get into,

seems to work and work well.on my 6mmbr it took the group size from 14mm to just 9 mm at 100 yards, or was i just trying harder

bob.
    .....OK, fair do's. So when you've experimented with yours, I'll give you mine to do.....!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    .....OK, fair do's. So when you've experimented with yours, I'll give you mine to do.....!!
    not a problem Si

i love working on stocks on the free floating side,

love working on shotties, rifle triggers and bolts,extractors etc.

bob.