Thread: Lapua Cutting Edge FMJ

Lapua Cutting Edge FMJ

Just browsing MidwayUK, as you do, and came across these
    http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproduc...eItemID=196556

I'm always willing to learn so I was wondering if anyone could explain to me this odd little bullet. The BC is low for a match bullet, it's FMJ yet is being commended as a varmint bullet and, let's face it, it's a funny looking thing.

What is it for?

Google is your friend

Cutting Edge
    When you are looking for the best short range target bullet for paper-punching, your choice is the .30 G477 6.5g/100gr HP Cutting Edge. A Hollow Point bullet capable of incredible accuracy, the Cutting Edge leaves an easy to score hole in your target, thanks to its innovative design. This bullet typically achieves groups of under 25mm at 100 m shooting distances. Also an excellent choice for varmint hunting and pest control.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    Google is your friend

Cutting Edge
    When you are looking for the best short range target bullet for paper-punching, your choice is the .30 G477 6.5g/100gr HP Cutting Edge. A Hollow Point bullet capable of incredible accuracy, the Cutting Edge leaves an easy to score hole in your target, thanks to its innovative design. This bullet typically achieves groups of under 25mm at 100 m shooting distances. Also an excellent choice for varmint hunting and pest control.
    Well yes, thank you. I had read through Lapua's own write up. Doesn't really explain why such a funny little FMJ with low BC is being touted as a varmint bullet, or a target bullet come to that.

BC at sub 300yds is irrelevant really as neither drop nor wind will have a chance to affect flight. Wadcutters/HP's do make nice clean holes on paper.

In terms of its effectiveness on furry stuff, HP's and wadcutters are pretty good at stopping inside what they hit. Sub 100yd foxes and bunny's would be viable...

Overall, strikes me as a bit of a niche product.

Quote Originally Posted by liamnjs View Post
    Well yes, thank you. I had read through Lapua's own write up. Doesn't really explain why such a funny little FMJ with low BC is being touted as a varmint bullet, or a target bullet come to that.
    These bullets are intended for off season target practise and for fur hunting where its desireable to minimise damage to the pelt. I understand that pelt hunting is quite common in Scandinavia.