expensive dinner

pete evans

Got home this evening and my wife has made a nice spag bol.................................................................USING A £50 BOTTLE OF RED. :doh: Oh well I was saving it for her dad who fancies himself as a bit of a wine buff. will refill with jacobs creek and re cork it, bet he doesnt notice

That would have me sending her back to her parents.
Did the same with a bottle of port, something like a '76 port bottle, filled with some thing for about £10.
My mate sees the bottle, "ooh got to try a drop of that, yep, no problem, ah wow this is great." SUCKER.
Always good for a laugh, it might just take your mind off the £50.

Got home this evening and my wife has made a nice spag bol.................................................................USING A £50 BOTTLE OF RED. :doh: Oh well I was saving it for her dad who fancies himself as a bit of a wine buff. will refill with jacobs creek and re cork it, bet he doesnt notice

Yup, I can relate to that, unfortunately.
Now there is always something cheap next to the stove.

Gutted mate!!! Did she use the whole bottle for cooking or did she drink the rest whilst it was bubbling away!!!

We will have to get out lamping sometime soon, give me a call when you are over this way again.

Cheers

Ross

As a kid, with one of the first pigeons i ever shot, i decided i would cook it and wanted it to be the best so marinaded it in a bottle of my dads finest sloe gin.. kept well out of reach for special occasions only..

My word, was it a special occasion when he found out!! :D

I was given it by a client as a thankyou so not as painful as it could have been (not that I would ever spend much on wine). When my missus realised she blamed me for putting it in the wrong bit of the wine rack.
me "I didnt realise we had different sections of the wine rack"
her"we dont"
you cant win.
dinner was good though.

i found my missus making hot whiskies with a bottle very expensive 25 year old jameson :eek:trouble was she'd been making them for a couple of hours for herself and friends

I hope she used fillet steak for the mince:rofl:

I was given it by a client as a thankyou so not as painful as it could have been (not that I would ever spend much on wine). When my missus realised she blamed me for putting it in the wrong bit of the wine rack.
me "I didnt realise we had different sections of the wine rack"
her"we dont"
you cant win.
dinner was good though.
Good man Pete, frankly I think that the waste here was not in the cooking with it but in the fact that someone was actualy stupid enough to waste £50 on a bottle of wine in the first place ! However, if it had been a bottle of some choice Laphroiag then that would have been another matter entirely.

Good man Pete, frankly I think that the waste here was not in the cooking with it but in the fact that someone was actualy stupid enough to waste £50 on a bottle of wine in the first place ! However, if it had been a bottle of some choice Laphroiag then that would have been another matter entirely.
I disagree. I would far rather enjoy 1 bottle of wine @ £50 than 10 bottles of Jacobs Creek @ £5. Sadly my funds only allow wine in the £10 - £20 bracket with the more expensive stuff as a very rare treat, only downside is when your child/wife/dog spills your glass.

I disagree. I would far rather enjoy 1 bottle of wine @ £50 than 10 bottles of Jacobs Creek @ £5. Sadly my funds only allow wine in the £10 - £20 bracket with the more expensive stuff as a very rare treat, only downside is when your child/wife/dog spills your glass.
Hi, I appreciate your point here, £5 buys total slush in the UK, but you don't seem to be considering the benefits of 5 bottles of wine at £10 ! or two at £25 !! ;) Unless you have a more advanced palate than even the master himself did (Keith Floyd) then you will probably find that after the first very good mouthful of wine your palate is not capable of appreciating a wine of that kind of caliber anymore. Any further enjoyment is probably more down to psychological associations with the £50 price tag than the genuine flavor and texture that you can taste and feel.
I am a gastronaut and as such only ever eat and drink food that is worthy of my consumption as life is too short to cheat oneself out of good and healthy food. As a shooting man im sure that your well aware that good food does not have to cost very much money. With people starving around the world I appreciate that we are very lucky to have had the fortune to live in a part of the world where food is available and plentiful and where we can choose what we eat.
Im sorry but you have not convinced me with your statement there, please do not take this personally, but, spending £50 on a bottle of wine is a rather Wan***y thing to do in my opinion and can only be justified if one has money to winkle away or is just utterly pretentious. I think that spending £50 on a bottle of wine is a shocking and wrong thing to do and id far rather spend £10 on some good wine and the rest on the kids, wife, and the dog. Assuming that I was married with kids and actually had a dog !

Kind regards, Olaf

Hi, I appreciate your point here, £5 buys total slush in the UK, but you don't seem to be considering the benefits of 5 bottles of wine at £10 ! or two at £25 !! ;) Unless you have a more advanced palate than even the master himself did (Keith Floyd) then you will probably find that after the first very good mouthful of wine your palate is not capable of appreciating a wine of that kind of caliber anymore. Any further enjoyment is probably more down to psychological associations with the £50 price tag than the genuine flavor and texture that you can taste and feel.
I am a gastronaut and as such only ever eat and drink food that is worthy of my consumption as life is too short to cheat oneself out of good and healthy food. As a shooting man im sure that your well aware that good food does not have to cost very much money. With people starving around the world I appreciate that we are very lucky to have had the fortune to live in a part of the world where food is available and plentiful and where we can choose what we eat.
Im sorry but you have not convinced me with your statement there, please do not take this personally, but, spending £50 on a bottle of wine is a rather Wan***y thing to do in my opinion and can only be justified if one has money to winkle away or is just utterly pretentious. I think that spending £50 on a bottle of wine is a shocking and wrong thing to do and id far rather spend £10 on some good wine and the rest on the kids, wife, and the dog. Assuming that I was married with kids and actually had a dog !

Kind regards, Olaf
To be clear about this the 5 bottles @ £ 10 is the most frequent option with the occasional bottle nearer £ 20. However having on very rare occasions had the opportunity of drinking £ 50 wine I must say that I can taste the difference and yes I do from time to time buy £ 5 bottles but usually end up regreting it. atb Tim

To be clear about this the 5 bottles @ £ 10 is the most frequent option with the occasional bottle nearer £ 20. However having on very rare occasions had the opportunity of drinking £ 50 wine I must say that I can taste the difference and yes I do from time to time buy £ 5 bottles but usually end up regreting it. atb Tim

if yoy lived closer you could have come round and i would have happily given you what didnt go into my dinner.

It all goes down the same way and who can actually taste the difference when it comes to the last glass anyway. I am happy just to be awake !

Back