Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about the law concerning deer hunting at night

Questions about the law concerning deer hunting at night

Hi!

I was wondering if anybody could help me with some questions about the Scottish law concerning hunting in the dark. What the rules are, the background and the justification for why you have them.

If you have some links to the legislation online?

I am i law student and a hunter from Norway. Iīm writing my master thesis which is about the rules concerning night hunting in Norway. By Norwegian law hunting during night is not prohibited. Although lighting is not allowed. The hunters are simply abide to exercise human hunting where the animals do not have to experience unnecessary suffering.

But there has been several rulings by the Norwegian courts the last years where night hunters have been accused of inhuman hunting. The legislators have therefor been asked to review our laws and consider that we introduce the same kind of prohibition which for example Sweden and Denmark have.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGirl View Post
    Hi!

I was wondering if anybody could help me with some questions about the Scottish law concerning hunting in the dark. What the rules are, the background and the justification for why you have them.

If you have some links to the legislation online?

I am i law student and a hunter from Norway. Iīm writing my master thesis which is about the rules concerning night hunting in Norway. By Norwegian law hunting during night is not prohibited. Although lighting is not allowed. The hunters are simply abide to exercise human hunting where the animals do not have to experience unnecessary suffering.

But there has been several rulings by the Norwegian courts the last years where night hunters have been accused of inhuman hunting. The legislators have therefor been asked to review our laws and consider that we introduce the same kind of prohibition which for example Sweden and Denmark have.
    As one foreigner to another.

No hunting is allowed between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise but there are 2 important exceptions:

1 My local police force told me that to alliviate animal suffering you can kill a wounded animal in these hours but you must be able to satisfy the Courts that you did it to stop it suffering if the police take you to Court.

2 The appropriate authorities can give you permission on application to shoot deer at night. This is not a rare occurrance.
    Last edited by barongcw; 18-01-2012 at 21:21.

Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    2 The appropriate authorities can give you permission on application to shoot deer at night. This is not a rare occurrance.
    Au contraire, it is VERY unusual for an individual to be granted permission to take deer outwith the prescribed daylight hours. As far as I know only a couple of night licences were granted last year, both of them for shooting park deer in Royal parks in London (Richmond and Bushey) where shooting during the day isn't possible due to the public having access.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Au contraire, it is VERY unusual for an individual to be granted permission to take deer outwith the prescribed daylight hours. As far as I know only a couple of night licences were granted last year, both of them for shooting park deer in Royal parks in London (Richmond and Bushey) where shooting during the day isn't possible due to the public having access.
    I have been told of other places but had Scotland in mainly in mind. Scotland, as HunterGirl probably knows, has diffferent laws to the rest of the UK.
    Last edited by barongcw; 18-01-2012 at 22:25.

I have a lot of friends who have been deer hunting in Scotland, and they have been there with Scottish hunters who have hunted during the night themselves. My friends were talking about being a stalker 1 and 2, and if you were a stalker 2 you could hunt at night (or something like that).

Does any of you know where I can find the law concerning hunting in Scotland?

Guys, it's Scotland that the OP is asking about.

Here's a link to the Best Practice Guide for Scotland: http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/

No doubt that those forum members from Jockland will be able to fill in the gaps.

Baron, Scotland is a part of the UK. Scotland has different laws to England and Wales and Northern Ireland.

Hunter, we have two deer stalking qualifications. DSC1 and DSC2. DSC1 is mainly a classroom course, with a multiple choice test at the end, and a fairly simple shooting test. DSC2 is a field based qualification, where you have to stalk, shoot, gralloch and retrieve two deer whilst being observed by someone qualified as an accredited witness. Neither of these qualifications allows you to shoot deer at night.

The Deer Commission Scotland best practice guide tells you everything you need to know about the law surrounding night shooting of deer in Scotland. You can find it here

Try this http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/ it is aimed at Scotland. The rest of the UK uses http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/best_practice/

Hopefully they will answer your question for the different laws in the UK.
    A pat on the back is often just a recce for the knife.

Do you know the justification for the night hunting prohibition? Ie he risk of wounding the deer, that the darkness will make it hard to seek for the wounded deer. Or if the deer hunter feels that they should be able

We have several surveys concerning shooting during the day and night. And the chance of making a bad shot and wound the deer is four times as big during the day, than during the night.

On the other hand, it is the most experienced hunters who hunt during the night. They are the best marksmen.

A lot of the deer hunters in Norway argue that the deer population has increased so much that we have to hunt at the break of dawn or when itīs a full moon to shoot enough deer. Thatīs why I wanted to check the rules in Scotland, because I know that Scotland has a much bigger population of deer than in Norway. I havenīt been abroad to hunt, but I know that a lot of Norwegian hunters go to Scotland to hunt deer. I really donīt know anything about the deer or the hunting in England, Ireland or Wales. So I donīt know the difference in the deer population, or if they have different rules concerning night hunting.