Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some sika and red deer photos - high (ish) bandwidth content

Some sika and red deer photos - high (ish) bandwidth content

Following on from another thread where I posted a picture my father had taken of a sika hind I thought to post a few more pictures of deer that he or I have taken over the last few months. They aren't art but as we are all interested in deer I thought they might provide a diversion for some folks of a Saturday evening:

This is the full photo from which the sika hind was taken. Has anyone any views on the line up here? Is this likely to be 2 hinds and a calf or is it more likely an older hind, (front) a follower and a calf? Do sika do the "follower" thing where last years calf might still be following the mother?

This is another one my father took of one of the stags that arrived for the rut this year, I think it is a great picture though as was pointed out on AR he does look a little like he has just come from the hairdressers!

This is another stag that dropped by for a while and was still on the ground at the start of December:

This very small stag managed to hold on to a few hinds right at the end of November, he is posing here with a hind and calf. I got the feeling that he wasn't just hanging out with the hinds because he was too small to hang with the big stags but that he was actually in with a chance. Either way he looks a bit weird, like his head is too small for the body or something. Despite this he was in great condition right into December:

The last two were taken with my little point and shoot and so are not great as the shutter speed was in the order of half a second. Lastly here are 3 red stags on the Isle of Lewis. I took this in September and was actually fishing on the day I took it but it is my favourite deer photo of the year:

female yearlings will mostly stay with its mother along with calf ,even when or if the yearling become s pregnant she will follow her mother along with the calf .yearling male s and male calfs are at times pushed away from the hind in the rut .thats why young males make up so much of the cull and prickets turn up in the oddest places .

cracking pics the stags look fantastic quality sika
    amberdog

I am not used to Sika, but it looks to me like a hind, follower and calf. If anyone can educate further it would be appreciated. The 2nd photo of a stag looks like a very mature animal, again I would appreciate feedback. I am going on the very thick neck and it looks like the top tines are palmating!!

J

Davie
    Thanks for posting the Photos they are great and that Sika stag is a real topper

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Fantastic pictures, you look as though you were reasonably close to them.

I do like Sika, I think they are fantastic to watch, I watched 6 Stags the other day.

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by irishgun
    female yearlings will mostly stay with its mother along with calf ,even when or if the yearling become s pregnant she will follow her mother along with the calf .yearling male s and male calfs are at times pushed away from the hind in the rut .thats why young males make up so much of the cull and prickets turn up in the oddest places .
    That is useful info irishgun as that is what I had assumed based on what little I know of red deer. However I wasn't at all sure if it applied to the sika as well. Based on that then I would guess that this is a hind, follower and calf which would have been my guess if it were red deer.

I will try and see if it is possible to get some more photos over the coming year. At the minute it is dark nearly all the time and when you factor in the shade of the trees it is often impossible to get a picture. However it is good practise for "sneaking up" and so will not be lost when I go after them with the rifle, which will hopefully be before the end of the season.

there good big calfs the pictures were taken not long ago or this time of the year , come this time of the year when culling its hard at times to pick the calf in the middle of a group when ya have a few down .have you noticed any of them big early calf becoming pregnant .

Cracking photos. I'd agree the hind on the right certainly looks younger but if she's a yearling she's a good un as she's caught up with the mature hind.
    Good heads - are they pure Jap do you know?

I believe them to be pure japs but guess the only way to be sure would be through DNA testing or similar.

I can't work out what they are feeding on, other than the obvious, but they are certainly keeping condition well even into the winter and there is no sign of them eating bark off trees or the like so where ever they are getting it the feeding must be good.